Mexican Costco and Pizza...


Advertisement
Published: June 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Its 6:30 Sunday morning and there’s a cacophony of fireworks in the distance: a common sound in Mexico in the otherwise quiet pre-dawn hours. Last night, in a small cement ring not far from our condo, there was a bullfight. Dignitaries had been flown in on helicopters that came and went throughout the afternoon. On our way out of town we saw tables being set up with stark white tablecloth’s outside the Bull Ring alongside the highway for the dinner served after the fight: a splash of sophistication against a backdrop of dirt and dust. Fortunately for the bulls, there is no fight to the death (here in this part of Mexico at least, they do not kill the bulls). The sounds of elated cheering and bursts of fireworks lasted late into the evening.

Yesterday also marked our second visit to Costco. Our first was to a large industrial town about forty-five minutes from San Miguel called Queretaro, but this Saturday we went to the smaller town of Celaya. I took pictures along the way of the countryside, which was both beautiful and sad all at once, the verdant farmland contrasting with shacks and poverty.

I wonder if I'll ever get used to this unsettling combination of beauty and neglect...

Later in the day, after our siesta, we went to one of the many plant shops nearby and purchased flowers for the balcony of our new rental house along with a few inexpensive Mexican pots. The variety and cheap cost of plants and pottery is wonderful since I envision both the inside and outdoor garden of our new rental to be brimming with flowers and plants.

Our new house is called the “Gaudi house” since the local architect had built it with the famous nineteenth century Spanish architect’s stylistic influence. It’s whimsical and ethereal, just like Antonio Gaudi himself, and we chose it for its uniqueness.

Later that day, when the sun was still high but the evening was cooling and the shadows had lengthened, we took a taxi to the city center and enjoyed a pizza at the La Grotta Restaurante on Cuadrante 5. This tiny two story pizzeria is wonderfully quaint, especially on the top floor where the original tiles, painted walls and unique fireplace are set against two tall open windows with flower-filled balconies overlooking the street below. Their tasty pizza, warm hospitality and strong margaritas (not to mention the red sauce you pour over your pizza whose wonderful picante combination is a ‘secreto’…) are making us regulars already!

On our walk home, we stopped at one of the many galleries and enjoyed an animated but barely comprehensible chat with the young owner while we appreciated the artists’ work. We talked of how someday we’ll be able to afford the $1500.00 and $2000.00 pieces we each enjoyed, but that maybe the $10.00 tile was more in line for us right now. We thanked him for his time, and promised we’d be back again soon. Hasta luego senor!

We got home early to check on our new “puppacito” Oreo. She’s in the process of being crate trained and had successfully completed her first three hour stay alone. We then settled in for another night of satellite TV, something we greatly appreciated since we could never justify it in the US. For what would have cost us over $120.00 in the States, now cost less than $30.00 a month.

Ahh Mexico, where one can truly enjoy the Good Life…!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb