Teotihuacán, Piramides del Sol y de la Luna,...


Advertisement
Published: August 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Teotihuacán is situated 50km northeast of Mexico City. Here you can visit the huge "Piramides del Sol y de la Luna" (Pyramids of the Sun and Moon), but also "el Templo de Quetzálcótl" (Temple of Quetzálcl).

Teotihuacán was the capital of what was probably Mexico's largest pre-Hispanic empire and is also Mexico's biggest ancient city. Today it is still an important pilgrimage site. Many Mexicans visit the site during the vernal equinox hoping to soak up the mystical energy at that day.

The "Piramide del Sol" is the world's third largest pyramid (after Cholula and Cheops). The structure was dedicated to the sun god. The base is about 220x220m and the pyramid is about 70m high. As I am writing this article about some 8 years after we visited it, I clearly remember the height. There are 248 steps, but I can't confirm that we climbed them all ;-) In 1971 archaeologists found an 100m-long underground tunnel leading to the west side of the pyramid, hence it's name.

Both pyramids are connected by the "Calzada de los Muertos" (Avenue of the Dead)

The "Piramide de La luna" is at the north end of the "Calzada de los
Piramide del SolPiramide del SolPiramide del Sol

Teotihuacán
Muertos". This pyramid is built on higher ground, hence the fact that the pyramid is not as big as the other.

The site itself was full with locals trying to sell us some statues, made of obsidian. Obsidian is a kind of volcanic glass. The statue we bought represented an ancient God.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Obsidian statuesObsidian statues
Obsidian statues

Teotihuacán


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb