Prep School!


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Getting to Mexico City

I am leaving on the 14th at approx 12pm, arrive Singapore and stay overnight. 15th at 6:45am fly from Singapore to Hong Kong arriving 10:30am local time 15th at 11:45 fly non stop to San Fran arriving 09:15am on the 15th local time (crossing the date line) 15th at 11:10 fly to Mexico City arriving 17:36





Okay folks..... i've been preparing for this adventure for some time and would like to give you a quick rundown on what's been done.... When i started planning this out, the 'to do list' started to grow and grow.... and grow. A lot more work than i anticipated i can tell ya......

The PACK


Tatonka 65 Litre 'Red Trail' (with back support - i.e. not a hybrid). This was road tested in Borneo a few years back and was very comfy.

The Essentials -

Clothes


I will be travelling from Tropical to Temperate (Alpine) areas.
Note: No White Clothes.


Toiletries


The MEDI Kit


other Miscellaneous Items


Immunisations


Had to get jabbed a few times

:Typhoid
:Yellow Fever
:Hep A
:Tetanus

The Non Essentials -




NOTE: None of these items should be taken back packing

The Flash Pack (Geek Toys)


I need to take a few toys to keep myself entertained during those looooong plain/traing/bus trips....


Photographic Equipment


I am a bit of an amatur photo enthusiast and justified a new camera for this jaunt.... i wanted to bring along a few extra lenses, like my 75-300mm F4-5.6 or a small 18-55mm but in the end i didn't want to carry too much glass especially with potential loss/theft factor (see insurance) and went with an all-rounder 17-85mm.


Documents and Other Stuff


Visas - check visa requirements for all possible target locations
Copy of important documents (passport/ travel insurance/plane tickets)
2 x List of critical contacts/numbers e.g. insurance/consulates (hard copy)
2 x Travel Guide Books - These are bulky and heavy, pickup/drop-off more on the way
Access to funds from at least two different sources, cash, travellers checks, plus/cirrus, credit.

A rough itinerary plan/diary (on a small notepad) keep it rough as a guideline for places and times.

The Mobile Phone


To take or not to take this is the question. I thought long and hard about this, the only use i can see is for SMS or a possible emergency. Calls are just so expensive that calling cards are the way to go. Although i have contact info and other stuff in here i just copied down the essentials and left the phone at home (just something that can be lost/stolen)

Rough Itinerary


At the moment, it is looking a little something like this.

Mexico
Mexico City - 15th of July (up to 2 weeks in and around the city)
Oxaca
Yukatan
Guatemala
El Salvador
Costa Rica
Panama

Jump a plane to Quito, ( Equador, South America).
Andes Trek
Possible Amazon Basin River Run
Le Pas, Peru
Nazca
Machu Pichu (Inca Trail)
Lake Titikaka the over to Bolivia

Other things to do.....


1. Book accomodation in Mexico city
2. Keep a copy of important documents at home and or with a friend/family.
3. Keep a copy of some documents (scanned passport images/tickets/insurance etc) on an email account that you don't use too often (in case your email gets hacked in an Internet cafe!)

Travel Route


To see the 'short flight' to Mexico, follow the below link.....

The path of the wanderer

Advertisement



9th July 2006

Opening the Innings
Mate, i just thought i'd start the ball rolling. As suggested yesterday, a water-proof pouch for important documents would come in handy. Never know when you might get drenched to the skin!!! If I don't see you before you go, have a good one...
14th July 2006

Stuff that got added to this list!
Actually a lot of stuff got added to this list such as a few water proof containers for electrical stuff (like small tupperware containers!). Some oven bags (1 gallon and smaller ones) for anything that is 'water sensitive' (e.g. tablets, certain documents etc). I ended up bringing a phone in case of emergency and for the odd text message updates for certain people (very conveniant).

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb