Mexico City - the last few days


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
December 4th 2005
Published: December 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Part of Diego Riviera MuralPart of Diego Riviera MuralPart of Diego Riviera Mural

The masterpiece. A who´s who of Mexican history.
My last few days in Mexico City passed reasonably uneventfully. However, one personal highlight was seeing the Diego Rivera Museum, having been greatly interested by the other work I had already seen of his around the city. The sole mural in the Museum was a huge ´who´s who´ of Mexican History. A cross-section of over 60 figures, some actual people such as Benito Juarez and Hernan Cortes, others representive of different types of people in society across the ages.

It´s a fascinating piece of work, well thought out, greatly enhanced with some basic knowledge of Mexican history (easily picked up after visiting a few museums).

Another very interesting thing I found from this was that their was a huge outcry in the newspapers after it was spotted that Rivera had subtly written "Dios no existe" (God doesn´t exist) as the title of the book a character was holding. Thinking this was "un-mexican" (Rivera had problems previously with Communist connations in earlier work as well - which would be consistent of atheism) it was promptly removed and poorly painted over with something trivial. This was questionably a lack of freedom of speech, being the 50s though it´s not that surprising, but looking at new laws proposed in the UK about religous hatred it´s arguable whether that might come under that category, and besides it was funded by the government intended as a national treasure to teach about Mexican culture and history and thus would seem a little out of place considering most people, even now, are quite religous.

On the Friday night, myself and some friends went in search of meeting some girls but only seem to come across the 'professional' variety i.e. those whom needed some paying or danced on tables. The other extremes reached were fancy wine bars to bars with a lot of grey hair and Mexican music. Unimpressed by this, the price of beer and with my head hurting from trying to converse with Luca in Spanish all day along with Ondrej´s amazingly frequent toilet breaks, we returned home.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0156s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb