Mexico City (El DF)


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mexico City


After a nice bus ride from Guad to Mexico City, we found our hotel in the Centro Historico. Mexico City is the third largest metropolitan area in the world (behind Tokyo and NY). We were both skeptical about what we would find here, but were very surprised to find a really interesting and pretty city. Contrary to a lot of what we had heard, we did not feel unsafe even at night. It really resembled an old European city with beautiful ornate old buildings that centered around a main square. The main square and cathedral were built by Cortez in the 16th century when the conquistadors took over the area from the Aztecs. Cortez destroyed all of the Aztec temples and build the cathedral and square on top of where the main temple was which was also the center of the Aztec universe.

Enough history...We spent the next day checking out the free zoo and the National Anthropology museum followed by a really long walk back to the hotel. Liz was really excited to see a million little girls dressed up in Snow White, Cinderalla, and Belle costumes as we passed the arena where Disney sobre hielo (Disney on ice) Zocalo (town center) was being performed. We learned that the Mexican version of marketing is to yell in your ear as you walk by about all of the goods that they have for sale. Everything in the country seems to cost 10 pesos. After twenty minutes of this we started finding other routes.

The food here has been great but will definitely leave you questioning your decision to eat 5 tacos or a huge plate of mole enchiladas. I think our bodies are finally starting to get used to the food.

The second day we walked around and saw some more sites and then headed out to the Plaza del Toros for a bull fight. It was very interesting to see the pageantry and the tradition, but in the end bull fighting is not really for us and we decided to leave a little early. We found a movie theater and went to see Harry Potter instead.

Overall a really interesting city with some very friendly folks. We jumped on a bus to Oaxaca yesterday, but that story will be saved for another blog....

Hasta Luego,
Trev and Liz




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



17th July 2007

Mmmmm.... baked goods
Let me know if there are any baked goods ideas Sara Lee can use! Love following your adventures on the blog! Keep 'em coming!
19th July 2007

You must have been in heaven surrounded by all of those baked goods Lizzie! They look deeee-lish! Love reading your blogs and seeing the fun pics! Miss you guys.
20th July 2007

Hey travelbugs, it is great to see all the fun places you are going! But, based on the photo of the goodies package you are returning to the US, I wondering what could possibly be left to carry around? Liz, don't let him take away your shoes - remember that you represent women and wives the world over! Many hugs from Mom K

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb