Dos cerveza por favor


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

DinnerDinnerDinner

Trev tries mexican street food
We have made it, We are safely in Mexico City.

And to be fair it was easier than I had expected;

We were singled out in Heathrow airport for some ´special attention´by customs but this only entailed a go in their new external x-ray type machines not a rubber glove.

Mexico city airport was a bit nerve racking as it was the first time for both of us that a family member or a Thompsons rep wasn´t in the arrivals lounge to meet us but we managed to get hold of the hostel and they sent a car for us.

We arrived at the hostel in the dark and rain and were not able to form much of an a opinion of the city on the way through but the hostel staff were welcoming and a couple of Coronas on the roof top bar were just what the doctor ordered after the long flight.

The bedroom is not disimilar to most I´ve stayed in on cheap lads holidays and the bed was clean and not infested so that was another fear over come.

For the morning of our first full day we signed up to a tour of the Anthropological musem.
to get there we were guided through the complexities of the underground and bus systems and then given an interesting, if thorough, tour of the museum. We were then left to our own devices and wondered off to try the wonders of mexican street vendor food. After a satisfying and ridiculosly cheap bocadillo (sandwich type thing) we were intrigued to see what looked like a Mexican version of Morris dancing, men in silly costumes and streamers standing a pole. We quickly realised something was amiss when they started to climb the 15 meter odd pole. Once atop they attached the the wound round ropes to themselves and let go of the pole. rather than the quick and terminal descent i expected they decended slowly whist spining round the pole (pictures of this will be added as soon as we find a PC with a USB port).

The rest of the afternoon was spent wandering around the zoo, not great but free.

We managed to sucsessfully negotiate our way back to the hostel on the tube and bus combind with out getting mugged or pickpocketted once. and explored local markets. Dinner this evening was again from the street vendors I had delicious and spicy meat tacos ( Im not sure what the meat was, I just pointed at the one that looked tastiest) Jo had hot dogs and for afters we shared sweet pancakes fresh made in front of us. the mains cost 10 pasos each and the dessert 3. dinner was a grand total of 26 pesos that is approx one pound 40. (note. Mexican key boards dont have pound signs).

I've heard about the floods you lot have had, just to rub it in apart from a shower as we arrived last night we have had perfect weather, sunny but not so hot its unbearable, great for walking around and exploring the city in.

We'll do you another update soon

Trev and Jo



Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb