MEXICO CITY AT CHRISTMAS


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
December 24th 2018
Published: December 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

This is our second Christmas in Mexico City and Troy and I find it as beautiful as last year. Hotel Central is located in the historic center of the city and from my window I can see the palace of Hernan Cortez. Directly across from his palace is the National Cathedral and next to that the ruins of Montezuma's Palace. Montezuma was the last Aztec King of Mexico. At this time of year the year as always the Aztec and Spanish culture is so evident. Aztec dancers wearing feathered headdresses and little more perform in the Plaza and devout Christians wind their way through them on their way to mass. Indigenous people sell their weaving and carving and basketry while shaman rids you of aches and pains by blowing smoke up your skirt so to speak. Last night we boarded the Turibus and for less than a dollar a piece viewed lighted monuments to heroes ancient and modern. We had a long talk with a Mexican family who is hopeful about the political future of Mexico with a new president who has opened the Presidential Palace to the public and goes into the street and shakes hands with the citizens. They shared their candy with us and gave us a lengthy list of places to visit in their city and country.

Today we ditched plans for another bus tour and walked the pedestrian street of Central. A skeleton clad in traditional dress lured us into a gorgeous shop of handcrafted jewelry and ceramics and Freida adored wonderful garments and though their prices were no bargains their skills and style warranted the pesos. Cheap American chains stood next to expensive boutiques and the harmonium players competed with masked performers for tips. A sleek Boston terrier endlessly chased a tossed ball outside the house of blue tiles and he was still busy at it after we left there for a lunch of traditional enchiladas. Outside a monastery an abuela was selling her Christmas place mats. We bought her lunch and she posed for a picture. When Troy showed it to her she wanted it. A Christmas treasure for us. The weather is warm and the streets are full and tonight another adventure awaits.


Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb