Mexico City!!!!!


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hola!!

So here is the first entry from Mexico! We´ve been here for 3 days now and it has been brilliant. Got to Heathrow with some pretty crappy weather that we were very happy to leave, flight was on time. Got to Mexico city about 6:45pm local time (a good 6hrs behind!) and went through customs. This included Deano and Wilkos constant reminders to the group that Deano needed to get himself a new bag and Wilko had gotten up very early that morning so he was very tired. It took quite a while to get through customs and Wilko assured us that it was due to people not filling their migration forms in correctly, we were to discover this was true as the nice lady pointed out to Wilko that he hadn´t filled in his form correctly!

So, we got to the hostel about 9ish and after we dumped our stuff immedietly down to the bar to have a beer, upon which the girl at the desk asked if we were english, when we said yes she said "all English guests, first thing they ask for is beer!" Cultural exchange already begun!

Our first proper day in Mexico included walking around the city centre looking at various sites, we visited the Cathederal which was stunning and in constant use, a free, museum that went through the past 200years of Mexico going through the decrease in the Spanish power and ultimately to the Mexican independence which was all very interesting. Pretty interesting was the Mexican emblem of the eagle holding a snake, sitting on the cactus- each part with its own significance but I cant actually remember them right now but I assure you it was very interesting! Next we went to some Aztec ruins that were right in the centre of Mexico right next to the Cathedral and was only discovered in the 70s which was pretty amazing. The Temple itself was around 4000 yrs old in its most ancient parts and they discovered this gigantic tablet of one of the Gods which was pretty much fully intact, unbelievable tekkers!

So by now it was about 3 in the afternoon and we were cooked by the heat, its constantly around 30 and our poor English selves hadnt quite acclimatised as yet. We got some Tacos which were very nice and spicy! Then it was back to the hostel for our first evening trip to the Luchos Libre aka Mexican wrestling!

We went through the hostel and so it started with a free beer and tequilla shot and then onto a bar that sold a alcoholic cactus beverage that was thick and incredibly sweet but got us well on our way. Then we went to the wrestling stadium which included 4 matches and they were absolutely incredible! they did some pretty awesome moves including back flips of to the outside of the ring and some of these guys were about 20stone and well over 6 ft. There was plenty of beer and cheering and to top it all of one of the fights was between midgets, actual midgets! They were very quick and literally flew of the ropes, was very exciting! Then we went on out first night out in Mexico which consisted of way to many Tequillas and drinks but was an awesome and messy night with some Aussies and Brits that we met at our hostel and Terry, the waiter who had upsticks from Ohio to Mexico City even through he couldn't speak a word of Spanish, great man!!

Having got back in at 4am, the next days all day trip to Teotihuacan which were some Aztec temples in the north of Mexico was a challenge. Absolutely boiling again, I was already having to apply sun cream every 2 hours or so and looking like a MASSIVE WHITE BOTTLE LEG TOURIST, but oh well! Climbing the temples lead to some fantastic views. Learnt about the cactus plant as well that had a very large amount of uses, including making some alcoholic shots that had to be tried but made us feel awfull after the night before! After the trip we were absolutely shattered and so had an early night. This brings us to today were we will be getting a night bus to oaxaca after recommendations! Having trouble uploading photos at the moment so just watch that space!

Sam

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb