The start of our journey - in Mexico City


Advertisement
Published: December 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we are finally starting this long awaited adventure! After a week of cleaning the house, frenzied final preparations and packing, where we had to put everything we needed for 6 months for 5 people in 4 small suitcases, we are ready! We picked up the boys from school, where their friends and teachers were very sad to say good bye, and we drove to the airport, Shakked immensely happy with a farewell present from one of his teachers - a book about Greece - the place he is looking forward to the most.
The flight was not easy, with Maytal wanting to crawl now all the time, but we made it through. The boys were happy as can be with our presents to them for this trip - their own ipod touch.
We landed in Mexico City early on Friday and crashed in our simple hotel for a few hours. After that we went out to see the Centro Historico, the historical centre. I will now cite from the boys diaries:
Amit: "We woke up to find that we we were hungry so we set out to find something to eat, we found a restaurant and the food we delicious then we went to a plaza and saw some Aztecs dancing with drums, then we went to see the remains of a great temple (an Aztec creation, I took some pictures and read about the legends -we read about Tlaloc -the Aztec God of rain and the god of death, we went on the museum of the Templo Mayor we saw amazing sculptures including one of the god of death. Maytal, our baby pulled herself to stand for the first time and tried to climb stairs, then we went to get some ice cream and Maytal had her first ice cream ever. Now we will go see the Christmas lights see you tomorrow on my third day of writing".
Shakked:" So much exciting things have happened during our first day in Mexico City. We slept till 1:00 PM, after that we went out and had a late lunch - I had beef noodle soup and chicken with mole (a kind of Mexican sauce).It was delicious - the soup was arm and savory, its odors drifting into my nostrils and turning my mouth into a pool, the chicken was sweet and spicy at the same time. After that we saw the ruins of the great temple of Tenochtitlan and we went to a museum about the Aztecs. It was chock full of artifacts, leering clay masks cast their eerie stare over me and growling stone statues with outstretched claws loomed at every corner .All of the mythology was as you expect bloody with people's hearts cut out and gods chopping each other to bits."



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



20th December 2009

Have a wonderful time!
Thank you for sending me the link to your travel blog - I will miss you Shakked and Amit so much in the spring drama class, but I look forward to reading your thoughts and feelings as you undertake this wonderful adventure! Happy traveling!
20th December 2009

Safe travel
Keep safe and have a wonderful trip. We (I forwarded this link to the top floor) will follow your blog and wait patiently to your visit :) Have a great time!!
20th December 2009

Viva Mexico
Hola Chicos, que gusto que ya esten en mi hermoso pais. Espero que Moctezuma se porte bien con ustedes y que Tlaloc este de vacaciones para que no llueva. Los queremos mucho. Oscar
21st December 2009

Kol Ha'Kavod
You guys are a true inspiration, i hope we will follow your footsteps soon! I added your blog to my favorite site so keep writing all the time as we will be following you. Yaron
21st December 2009

The blondies!
Hi blondies! Have a great time!!! Looking forward to seeing you soon in Shoham :) Love, Gonens - not so blondies.......
21st December 2009

Wish we were there!
We hope you have a good time travelling and that everything goes as planned. We wish we were travelling, too. Did Maytal make a mess eating her ice cream? Amiel is betting she did. And Nesya wants to know if the ice cream was different from what we get here? Good for Maytal standing up like that. Everyone thought the statues were really cool.
21st December 2009

Happy Travels!
I'm so glad to hear that you arrived safely in Mexico City. Please update your blog often so I can share with the 5th grade class about your travels. I'm happy that Shakked likes his new book. I wouldn't be surprised if he already knew about everything in the book. It will make a good reference guide. I hope Shakked is feeling better today. Take care and safe travels.
21st December 2009

Shakked is much better and enjoying his spanish classes and Mexican food!
27th December 2009

Your children are so incredibly bright! I will miss your beautiful and difficult accent and sweetness. kudos to you and your family for your bravery and sense of adventure.
30th December 2009

I'm so glad that you and your family have this opportunity to travel together. I am impressed with the journaling from the boys. Such wonderful observations and discoveries for young eyes and minds. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Happy New Year.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb