San Cristóbal de las Casas Part 2


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » Sumidero Canyon
November 11th 2014
Published: December 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We returned to San Cristobal on a night bus from Oaxaca. We checked back into the same hostel we previously stayed at and as our room was ready we could shower and have a sleep.

We had a pretty quiet day which included going back to visit the young boys for a street food lunch of tacos and exploring the market.

The next day we had organised a bike tour to the Sumidero Canyon. We cycled out of San Cristóbal and then uphill for 5km followed by a short downhill before continuing to climb for another 4km. Once we reached the top it was downhill for the next 60km. We made a stop for Grenadia (a fruit similar to passion fruit but sweeter) as they are grown in the area we were cycling through. Just before we arrived at the canyon we stopped for some Pozol, a local chocolate drink made with cacao and maize, it was similar to the one we tried in Oaxaca but much nicer.

When we arrived at the Sumidero Canyon we booked onto a boat trip and spent the next 3 hours travelling through some beautiful scenery. We even spotted a crocodile and
a spider monkey. Sadly there was an unbelievable amount of rubbish floating in the canyon, which combined with the natural wood and leaves to look like a giant oil slick. Considering the amount of money each person pays to visit the canyon - 30 pesos each for a park fee or approximately $50USD per boat, I think that more should be done to clean up such a beautiful area. We had lunch at a local street food stall before a short cycle to hitch a ride back to San Cristóbal.

We left San Cristobal to head back to Guatamala and Lake Atitlan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement





Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb