Shit Happens


Advertisement
Published: December 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mexicans love their chile. It is everywhere and seems to find it's way into everything, even lollies. I am one who doesn't eat alot of spicey food at home, so this has been a big adjustment. The only problem is i'm not adjusting. After a week of real Mexican food, i can't think about it and everytime i see 'taco' or 'burrito' my stomach flips. Such a pity as it is rather delicious. I think I take after my Dad.. and Jeags.

Our stay in Oaxaca (pronounced Wahaca) wasn't overly eventful, but it was nice to chill out in the plaza and the food markets, and lie in the sun on the roof of our hostel. The hostel gave us burgers too.. ooh right. After two nights there we split from Eric the Fish and the tres amigos became dos.

Next stop- Puerto Escondido, where most of the next few days were spent bumming on the beach. It was such a gorgeous town. On one of the days we took a boat ride to see the turtles and dolphins. It was ages until we saw one turtle (which our driver happened to capture and bring onto the boat.. so illegal) and we were wondering what the hell we had paid for. Then out of the blue, literally hundreds of dolphins appeared around us, swimming by the boat and jumping in the air- epic. Oh and by the way, i've definately 'seen the sun' now.

We left for San Cristobal de las Casas on the most freezing overnight bus i have ever been on. This town reminds me abit of Oaxaca, but it's a bit smaller and i like it better. There is a Christmas tree on the mountain overlooking the town which is beautiful! We decided to spoil ourselves with Dominos Pizza this afternoon (no it's didn't cost $100 this time) and for some reason it came with 3 fantas. During our meal a little indigenous boy came in trying to sell us things.. we politely declined and offered him the remaining fanta instead. About 5 minutes later, 3 more children came in, didn't bother trying to sell us anything and just stared at the pizza, so we obliged and gave them half of the pizza. 5 minutes after that, another indigenous girl walked in, pointed at the piece of pizza Tanz was just about to put in her mouth and started asking for it. It was too cruel to say no, so Tanz gave it to her and we got out of there before more children came in and started begging for pizza we no longer had.

Tomorrow we'll be travelling to Antigua, Guatemala. Now the question is- to take gastro stop, or to not take gastro stop.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb