Wandering around San Cristobal


Advertisement
Published: December 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Instead of going to Canon del Sumidero, El Chiflon waterfalls and Lagunas de Montebello I decided to go for a hike just outside of San Cristobal with the group and just hang around town. It was supposed to be a lazy day but I still woke up at 07:00, but I stayed in bed until 09:00. I did some reading then went for a leisurely breakfast. We started our hike around noon, walking through some neighbourhoods until we got to Jojo de Agua, the source of water for the city. Along the way we saw a hacienda that offers rooms for 2000 peso/night. It must be quite spectacular to charge that much. The area we hiked was in Moxviquill Ecological Reserve. The hike only took 40 mins, including stops. About half way into the hike was a cave and legend had it that it would go all the way to Palenque. The view wasn’t great but it was still nice to be out and about.

I noticed that many convenience stores, while open, had their metal gates locked, and if you wanted to buy something you told them what you want and the transaction took place at the gate. I felt pretty safe walking around so was it for security reasons?

Later that afternoon my roommate and I went to check out the outdoor market next to Santo Domingo church and I left him at the place we had lunch yesterday to go explore. I found a place with 5 peso taco, but still nothing cheaper than 3. I got lost a few times before managing to find Templo del Carmen and Iglesia de San Cristobal, hoping to get a better view of the city. The climb up multiple flights of stairs was more challenging than our hike earlier in the day but the view was definitely more rewarding. The church itself was small, locked and a bit of a disappointment. I then went to check out the indoor Mercado de Dulces y Artesanias. It was virtually deserted and the store owners could care less if you buy or not, but the prices were still similar to the market outside Santo Domingo church.

After dinner that night there was some interest to go check out a fair at the edge of the city, complete with rides and stuff. However, because of another early morning start to go to Guatemala we decided to call it a night early. I started the fire all by myself that night, very proud!



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

San CristobalSan Cristobal
San Cristobal

modified VW bug
San CristobalSan Cristobal
San Cristobal

Mexican AA
San CristobalSan Cristobal
San Cristobal

Templo del Carmen
San CristobalSan Cristobal
San Cristobal

climb to Iglesia de San Cristobal
San CristobalSan Cristobal
San Cristobal

searching for cheap tacos


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb