Palenque


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » Palenque
March 30th 2014
Published: March 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hola. After a 9 hour bus trip from Merida, we decided to skip Campeche, we arrived in Palenque. It was quite different to all the othe town. Firstly we had gotten used to grid fashioned streets which just had numbers as names so it was very easy to get around. Palenque is very small but hilly and tge streets have names like 2a Novembre and it is next to another 2a. It is a bit confusing at first but we finally found our Posada.

Next morning we headed to where the collectivos gather, have I mentioned how awesome collectivos are? We got in one and headed over to the Palenque ruins. Although we got there early it was already pretty hot and really humid. The ruins cover a massive area but they have only uncovered from the jungle 1/10 of it. The fact that you can see bits they are yet to get to and you can climb the ruins made Palenque my favourite. My Chichen Itza blog might have been more enthusiastic if I had written it before seeing Palenque. Although it is in the middle of Mexico and there is not much in the town I highly recommend it.

We were there for 4 hours and sweating up a storm like never before. Not only are you walking around the national park but up and down so so so many stairs. Over the whole site thete are great info boards in English so you can learn lots as well.

The ruins have definately been a hi lite of the trip. When we got back to town wr were starving and found this little BBQ chicken place all the locals were eating at. It was so tasty that I had it again for dinner. That night was our first night bus experience, 14 hours to Oaxaca.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb