Merida


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
March 30th 2014
Published: March 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hola from on board our fancy autobus with wifi. Can finally catch up on blogs. From Valladolid we had a short bus trip to Merida. We scored ourselves a sauna room at the hostel with only the noisiest fan. They had a pool but there was no way I was putting anything more than my feet in it.

Merida was another colonial type town quite larger than Valladolid. The night we arrived was the start of a festival so the roads around the main square we closed off and full of makeshift restaurants and street vendors. On on street there was a band and all the oldies were dancing. There is such a great family vibe in Mexico.

We organised our bus tickets to Palenque for the next day so needed another night accomodation in Merida. The hot hostel was full which turned out to be a blessing. For the same price we got an airbnb with aircon a clean pool, breakfast and a lift to the bus port. The old guy was an expat pom and we felt so comfortable there we pretty much spent the day lazing by the pool. That night the festival was on again. This time they had traditional dancers which reminded me of learning barn dances in primary school. No photos unfortunately. The other side of the square they had the big cannon fire works set up. They also had a big star firework. The cannon ones are so loud and then when they lit the star one we were right next to it, no safety zone, and it starts spinning and spitting out sparks like a Catherine wheel. Me being nerdy put my sunnies on thinking I was going to get blinded.

So Merida was nice but we pretty much used it as a rest stop. Next up was Palenque.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb