Breakdown and Salvation


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California Sur » Loreto
December 27th 2011
Published: December 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sorry n advance if my typing is bad, this keyboard is quite sticky.



So we are in Constitución now, not Loreto. Its a town inland a little south on the 1 freeway.



After the day in Mulegé we decided to mov on South because the wind wasnt picking up. We drove down to Loreto, taking pictures the whole way. When we arrivd in Loreto, we found a hotel with a room right across from the oldest Mission on Baja (way cool!). We went to Christmas mass at 11am, then took a while to walk around and eat lunch. We spent the afternoon reading and then went to dinner and bed. The next morning we headed onward (Loreto didnt hold much excitment for us) and passed through constitución to Punta San Carlos. There were some pretty amazing birds which nest all along the way into the mangrove marsh and up to the town. The town would be really cool in whale season, but just didnt seem all that exciting otherwise. We were going to take the highway back out and take pictures of birds and wildflowers on our way to Constitucion, but as we were pulling out of a side street we heard two loud pops and the car startd squeeking. We went back to San Carlos to find a mechanic (nothing was obvious) so we stopped into the ferretería (the yellow one on the main drag) to ask if they knew. They were nice enough to show us the way so we followed them. They took a look (after I poorly explained in spanish what happened) and they decided that it was the emergency brake rubbing. They said they didn´t have the part but we could go to constitucion and they would have it. They said it was safe to drive on (about here is where we had a major communication break down as I tried to translate ¨if we were your wife and duaghter, would you recommend we drive all the way to constitucion?¨ I got to ¨if we are your wife and duaghter...¨ and couldnt get the conditional tense....sheesh he looked at us like we were nuts). We returned to constitucion and after a little driving in circles to find the Frenomex (on th SECOND main street in town) we pulled in 15 min before closing. They went right to work, fixed it in about 30 min, and it all cost only 500 pesos! (1 dollar=13 pesos) We lucked out big time! Now we are about ready to find a hotel, EAT, and sleep.

crazy day!



ciao

Jo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb