A Rainy Day in Nuuk


Advertisement
Greenland's flag
North America » Greenland » West Greenland » Nuuk
August 17th 2019
Published: August 17th 2019
Edit Blog Post

The outskirts of NuukThe outskirts of NuukThe outskirts of Nuuk

There supposedly is a 10 year waiting list to get an apartment.
Our little group had different things to do today. John and Sheila had prebooked a boat trip that would go up the fjord, catch fish, go to a country restaurant and cook the fish they caught. Nick, Angela, and I did not sign up for that trip because it was expensive. Nick and Angela are amazing hikers and decided to hike the high peak behind town. My knee is still a little sore from the fall I took a few days ago, so I only want to do a short hike. Jan suggested we take the #1 bus which would give us a good overview of how Nuuk had expanded drastically since the 90's. We all took the bus, and Nick & Angela got off to do their hike. The rest of us did the loop, then Jan wanted to know if I wanted to do a short hike, so Jan & I hopped off the bus.

We walked up the hill to a lake and up another small hill. The rain was on and off. The views were nice, and we went down. The bus ticket gives you 1 1/2 hours to get back on and ours had expired. Jan started walking home, a fair distance from where we were. I told him I would buy him a bus ticket because I made us late by going up the small hill. He said no, so I took the bus home. The rain started coming down hard so I know he got soaked.

I've been in and out of my room today. I went to the art museum and ran into John & Sheila. They were starting to wonder about their boat trip with this weather. We're all wondering about NIck & Angela hiking. I tried to go to a few other places (native art) but they were closed - so back to the room.

Most of the population here is Inuit - about 75%. The other 25% are mostly European and mostly Danes.

Tomorrow we fly to Illulisat and I hope the weather is good because Jan said we go over the Ice Cap and that would be nice to see.

By the way, it's about 44 degrees F. and predicted to get a little colder.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 2.748s; Tpl: 0.067s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0328s; 2; m:saturn w:www (104.131.125.221); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb