I'm North of the Arctic Circle finally!!!


Advertisement
Greenland's flag
North America » Greenland » West Greenland » Ilulissat
August 19th 2019
Published: August 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Last night I went to an amazing concert at the Cultural Center. An orchestra from Denmark had been here a week doing friendship teaching with musicians in Nuuk. The frustrating part about the concert was not understanding a word that was said. A woman introduced each piece of music and also 2 special guests (mayor of Nuuk and mayor of city in Denmark). The conductor spoke in Danish about something, then back to the woman speaking in Greenlandic. The first 2 pieces had the interns playing with the orchestra, then the rest of the concert was by the Danish orchestra. There was also a male and female singer. I can't upload the video to this blog because I have the basic version of the blog and they don't allow uploads of videos.

Today we left Nuuk and took a flight to Ilulissat. The flight went to Kangerlusssuaq first, then to Ilulissat. We had great views of the glaciers and icecap from the flight. We arrived later than Jan expected because we had a delay at the Nuuk airport. The prime minister from Denmark arrived in Nuuk. Jan was really excited to see her, but the rest of us could care less.

By the time we checked in our hotel it was too late to do a walking tour of town, so Jan treated us to wine at a viewpoint at the hotel. Nick and Angela had arranged kayaking that evening and I went with them on the chance that there was a cancellation and I could get on the tour. We walked to town and went to the address they had. That building was closed. Then they noticed a different address on their reservation, so we walked over to that address, a hotel. The receptionist told us the kayaking trip had left at 18:00 even though their reservation clearly said 20:00. Annoying, disappointing, and infuriating for them. They are trying to either rebook or get a refund.

The icebergs here are huge. They come from the Jakobshavn Fjord just south of here and bend northward around the corner to Iulissat. The ones we can see from the hotel are massive. They think the one the Titanic hit was from this area and had drifted south.

Sunset is 10 pm, sunrise is 4:43. The days are getting shorter by about 10 minutes a day. The weather today was terrific.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th August 2019

Thanks for the running commentary!
I love reading about your travels. l don't travel as much as I would like, so your postings make for interesting reading for this armchair traveler!
19th August 2019

Soupy!
What a Great adventure! Love the pic and your Journaling! Keep Enjoying yourself!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb