Scenic Shortcut


Advertisement
Greenland's flag
North America » Greenland » South Greenland
August 27th 2019
Published: August 27th 2019
Edit Blog Post

August 26, 2019 – Scenic Cruising of Prince Christian Sound, Greenland – Weather: 39°F/3°C, sky clear and sunny, wind 5.8 mph inside the sound, humidity 55°



This morning we cleared the storm that had buffeted us all day and night yesterday. As we approached the south-eastern entrance of the sound the sky was clear with the sun shining and warming us even though there was still a stiff cold (39°F/3°C) breeze flowing over the deck.

The crew had opened the starboard hatchway leading to the viewing area on the bow and the breeze rushed into the ship refreshingly chilling everyone on the fourth deck. As with our passage through the sound back on August 8ththe Captain took a leisurely pace of 5 to 10 knots with several stops along the way to get in close to the glaciers that came down to the sea. Today the galley provided a seafood chowder for guests on the bow at noon.

As we approached the fishing village of Aappilatioq, later in the afternoon a tender was launched to take ashore donations of clothing, school supplies and recreational equipment, which from the reaction of the cheering inhabitants was warmly received.

We cleared the Sound around 7:00 pm and once again entered the remnants of last evening’s storm. The winds and seas were not as pronounced but still could be felt.

At dinner this evening we were seated with a couple from Vancouver who had once lived in Waterloo on Regina Street not far from our original house. Didn’t know them but it felt like old home week.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb