An Easy Day in St Johns, Newfoundland.


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
July 16th 2016
Published: September 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 47.5767, -52.7011

We're not scheduled to arrive in St John's until noon and we dock right at the pier in town. There's no rush getting off today so after breakfast, I work on the blog and we let those in a big hurry exit the ship first. When the rush is over, we leisurely disembark our ship and walk into town. There's not much here. I looks to us like any other small city. We walk two block into town, turn right two blocks, another right and we're back at the ship. Mom checked about a few shops but there's not much to see there. We hear of a pathway that leads to Signal Hill, the location where Marconi sent the first transatlantic wireless signal but, seeing the location far up on a hill quite some distance from us, I know that's not going to be possible so we settle for our self-guided tour through the city and return to our ship.

St. John's is one of the oldest settlements in North America, with year-round settlement beginning sometime after 1630. St. John's is the capital and largest city in Newfoundland. Of all major Canadian cities, St. John's is the foggiest, windiest and cloudiest. St. John's is located along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, on the northeast of the Avalon Peninsula in southeast Newfoundland and is the most easterly city in North America, excluding Greenland. It was here that Guglielmo Marconi received the first transatlantic wireless signal in St. John's on December 1901 from his wireless station in Cornwall.

Returning late in the afternoon, we walked around a little, changed clothes and went to dinner. Our dinner partners raved about the beautiful walk they had while visiting Signal Hill. The guy said he ran much of the way. That's nice. We stopped by the Crow's Nest to see the bagpipers as they performed for our sail away. Bagpipes are big around here since the heritage is Scottish. After all, Nova Scotia means "New Scotland" in the Scottish language.

The 8pm show tonight is a combo act made up of two prior comedy acts, Bob Brizendine and Scott Harris. I prefer Bob over Scott. Scott seems like he's always pissed off. Anyway, that rounds out our evening and we retire, looking forward to another sea day as we journey towards Halifax, our last stop in Canada.






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb