The Mad Dash Home


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
June 1st 2013
Published: June 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

My sister and I spent a week in Shediac waiting for her stuff to arrive so we could pack it up in her car and bring it back home again. We stayed in Moncton for a night, explored the town and did some shopping. There wasn't a lot happening there though, and my sister was in a panic to get to Shediac. So off to Shediac we go. As it happened her stuff wasn't there. We waited and waited but the moving company kept giving us the runaround. We spent some time at the beach, and checked out the town but it was generally a very boring week. Finally we had to leave because we needed to be back in Saskatchewan for Laura to go back to work. I have no idea what is going on with this moving company, but their stuff is still somewhere between here and there with no word on when it will arrive. It was shipped out before I left for Egypt, so it's had plenty of time to get there. Once we made the decision to leave and just book another moving company later my sister was in a mad panic to get back home. We still had time. We had a week to drive from Shediac to home. She had it in her head that we should do it in 4 days, because I had made some comment to someone that it was possible to do so. This was an insane idea. The only people who make that drive in so little time are the Ontario people working in Fort McMurray. There was no reason for us to be so ridiculous. However, once she has something in her head there is no convincing her otherwise. I think she just wanted to get home to her new boyfriend, but it was still stupid. We drive all the way across Canada, barely stopping to see anything, just to sit for a week doing nothing before driving straight back without stopping to see anything again. Except for the Hopewell rocks. We did not see eye to eye on this trip at all. We ended up driving through northern Quebec on the way back, and the scenery through there was very beautiful. Then on through northern Ontario, down through southern Manitoba and onward to western Saskatchewan. We did make it in 4 days. We drove recklessly through another snowstorm in Ontario, then a wind storm in Manitoba but none of that deterred her. I suggested we stop when the snowstorm hit...we'd already been driving for 9 hours but she wanted to push on for another 3 hours. We drove 12-15 hours each day. We did stop in eastern Saskatchewan for a couple of hours to visit our cousins. We hadn't seen them in several years so it was really nice to catch up with them. I think that was probably the highlight of the trip. Laughing and talking with family is probably the best thing in the world. When we left them we only had about 5 more hours to drive and we made it home by 10 pm that night. After travelling through Egypt, Jordan, London, The Netherlands, France, Spain and most of Canada I was pretty happy to be home again. I love to travel, but sleeping in my own bed is pretty amazing too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Snow in OntarioSnow in Ontario
Snow in Ontario

May 12th 2013


Tot: 0.374s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb