Calgary and Fernie


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
March 25th 2010
Published: March 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I flew into Calgary from Vancouver and made my way to the greyhound bus station where i dumped my bags and caught a bus into the centre of town. It was a sunday and the city seemed like a ghost town, i went to get a late breakfast and walked into a cafe to find it packed. So packed there was a list just to get to sit down to eat at the place. I ate the most amazing meal there, steak and eggs with hash brown hit the spot. The place was called Avenue Diner and it was in the main mall, definately recommmend it! After that i took the train to the Calgary Zoo which had over 900 animals. It was a great day just to walk around and chill out after having such a late night before playing 64 in our jumpsuits. I met this old guy norman when i left and he gave me a brief history of Calgary. It was good to hear it from a local and he told me a few other places to check out and see. I went up calgary tower to the top which was well worth it and met a few locals up there who pointed out landmarks. Afterwards, i hit china town for a beef soup and walked around the town alittle more before heading back to greyhound bus station to wait for my bus. My bus came at 11pm and i fell asleep as soon as i got on, it was a good 5 hours to Fernie. When i arrvied elloitt and jacqui braved the cold to come out and get me, lucky for me the lived just across the road from the bus station.

We woke up early, there was a big dump of powder the night before so we decided to make the most of it. We hitched a ride up the mountain and hit the slopes, i had never skiied in powder and i couldnt really call the first 1 hour skiing ethier because of the amount of time i was on my ass. I eventually got the hang of it and elloitt jacqui and i hit up a few of the ski bowls. The lost boys track was amazing and there was alot of untouched fresh powder. We had lunch and went back to skiing, we were all so tired from the early morning arrival but this powder was just too good not to make the most of so we stayed on. At the end of the day we hitched another ride from a local back into the center of town and walked the main street, elloitt told me its where they filmed 'hot tub time machine' movie and that everyone who lived in the town was very keen to see it for that reason. When we got home, Monopoly appeared and and old school movie was turned on. I didnt feel like do much so i just enjoyed this time to chill out. The next day was spent making travel plans and before i knew it we had kicked off pre drinks at the apartment and bree, a friend of elloitt and jacquis came around for dinner and drinks. We were heading to bingo tonight at the pub, hoping to score a few free jugs of beer but made a brief stop at 'the castle' to try and get some more people down for the cause. After a few more drinks, a beer bong, and a couple more drinks we headed to bingo, confident we could win the lot. After a few close rounds elloitt came up trumps and won a jug of beer and a box of chocolates from the bargain store which were later used as missiles on the fresh walk home back to the apartment. A&W, canada's equivalant to mcdonalds was a must to satisify that hungover feed. Two deliciously unhealthy burgers later, we went shopping for dinner that night and made plans to go for a walk by the river. The walk was nice, the rocky mountains were in the distance which was an amazing backdrop and the river was so cold as elloitt found out by taking off his shoes and putting his feet in the water to beat bree's first attempt to find out who could stay in the longest. Trivia was on that night at the pub just over the road from the apartment so we went over to test our knowledge or history, science and stoner trivia which i later found out that stoners arent really that good at. Our team was made up of 4 australians, 2 canadians, 1 englishman and as well as we thought we did, it wasnt meant to be as we were outplayed by several other teams. We kicked on to the castle for some of BC finest and met some of the people bree lives with who all seemed like a cool bunch all convincing me to do a ski season over here one day. At around 12:30 it was time to call it a night at the castle and time to pack my bags, said goodbye to elloitt and jacqui and went to the bus station were i sat toasty in my 3 layers and gloves until the greyhound came to take me to banff. It had be an fun few days in fernie and great to catch up with some old mates aswell as mate some new ones.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb