Canadian Rockies Part 3 of 3


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
September 23rd 2004
Published: June 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Day 9 Canmore - Banff - Calgary - Canmore 10th June Thur


We traveled along Bow Valley Parkway to arrive at Johnston Canyon, a popular tourist spot. It was already filled with tourists by the time we reached there but we still managed to hike to the Lower and Upper Falls to take in some spectacular views of the falls.



Afternoon was spent in Calgary where we snagged some good buys at ‘The Bay’ in downtown. But before that, we had a stop at the Canada Olympic Park, where the 1988 Winter Olympics was held. So glad TAR 5 visited the park and Calgary!

Weather on that day: Banff: 7.1 - 19.1
Calgary: 9.3 - 15.6
q Overnight: Carney’s Rose Chalet

Banff - Calgary: 127 km

Day 10 Canmore - Revelstoke 11th June Fri


In Yoho National Park, we wanted to stop by at Takkakaw Falls but unfortunately, the road up to it was closed till late June due to snow. We had a brief stop at the Spiral Tunnels Viewpoint but were not lucky enough to see a train passing through it.

Thereafter, we made a stop at Emerald Lake and had some clear reflections of the mountains in the turquoise-coloured lake.

We arrived Revelstoke in the early afternoon and took a free tour of the Revelstoke Dam where we learnt how hydroelectricity is produced. A very interesting trip if you ask me. After all, it was our first time seeing a dam upclose.

Weather on that day: Banff: 6.9 - 15.7
Revelstoke: 11.6 - 15.8
q Overnight: Alpine Lane B&B

Canmore - Revelstoke: 307 km

Day 11 Revelstoke - Vancouver 12th June Sat


The day was spent driving all the way from Revelstoke to Vancouver, with stops in Vernon and Kelowna. Upon arrival in Vancouver, we checked into Budget Inn Patricia - a 1½ star hotel located in Chinatown. Don’t stay in Chinatown if you are given a choice. It is dull, gloomy and boring.

Weather on that day: Revelstoke: 10.5 - 19.9
Kelowna: 6.4 - 21.0
Vancouver: 8.8 - 16.6
q Overnight: Patricia Inn Hotel

Revelstoke - Vernon: 148 km
Vernon - Kelowna: 53 km
Kelowna - Vancouver: 382 km

Day 12 Vancouver - Victoria - Vancouver 13th June Sun


Highlight of the day was a trip to Victoria. However, the ferry ride to Swartz Bay is so expensive - almost $80 one way (inclusive of our car, that is)!

However, we quickly forgot about that when we arrived at the world famous Butchart Gardens. It certainly did not disappoint us. Flowers are in bloom at all times of the year - even in winter! Over 60 shots were taken at this colourful gardens.



Thereafter, we drove on to Victoria city itself and had lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory. Later, we popped by the Fairmont Empress Hotel, another luxury hotel by the Fairmont chain. This area was so windy (and cold) that we even had difficulty walking along the streets!

Mum wanted to visit Anne Hathaway’s Cottage so we obliged and luckily we still managed to catch the 7p.m. ferry back to Tsawassen Terminal in Vancouver.

Weather on that day: Vancouver: 11.7 - 18.8
Victoria: 9.7 - 18.4
q Overnight: Patricia Inn Hotel

Day 13 Vancouver 14th June Mon


The morning was spent in Stanley Park where we revisited the Totem Poles. Later on, Dad, however, got lost and walked all the way to Beaver Lake. It was only after a good 45 minutes later before he came running back to us.

Afternoon was spent shopping along Robson Street. We snagged many good buys and had a sumptuous lunch at one of the restaurants.

Weather on that day: Vancouver: 11.4 - 19.0
q Overnight: Patricia Inn Hotel

Day 14 Depart Vancouver 15th June Tue


We bade farewell to Vancouver as we made our way to the airport for our flight to Taipei.

Weather on that day: 8.0 - 19.2
Depart YVR: 1135

Day 15 Arrive Taipei 16th June Wed


Arrive TPE: 1500

Upon arrival in Taipei, we took a bus to the Night Market, hoping to enjoy some good food. However, we found the food to be rather different from what we had expected and so we spent little time in the ‘Old City’. Point to note: Taipei is heavily polluted: skies are dull gray all the time probably due to the numerous scooters plying the streets. However, it was a relief to check into our hotel and enjoy a good nights rest in our most luxurious accommodation throughout the trip - Miramar Golf and Country Club! Best of all, it’s provided complimentary by China Airlines!


q Overnight: Miramar Golf and Country Club

Day 16 Taipei - Singapore 17th June Thursday



Depart TPE: 1435 Arrive SIN: 1905


View a complete list of my photos from the Canadian Rockies here:
Summer in the Canadian Rockies


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb