Beginning Musings


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon
November 8th 2007
Published: November 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After 12 hours of what could generously be described as grueling decisions to complete packing for our Around the World Adventure, Doug and I awakened on Sunday morning with visions of overweight luggage. By the grace of our son, Erik, we were taxied to BWI and embarked on our World Tour! Arriving in Toronto by noon, we were able to obtain a hotel shuttle and were checked in by 1:oo. Now what …? Fellow travelers and tour leaders were yet to gather … So left to our own devices we explored the Toronto Airport hotel corridor. Beginning with a Greek luncheon and finishing the day with a superb light meal at the local Westin Restaurant Zacchary.

Awakening on Monday morning we prepared for our airport shuttle and the gathering of fellow adventurers in the lobby of this tourist hotel. Best that can be said is free internet access!

We boarded our private IcelandAir jet from a private charter lounge and were greeted by an exceptionally beautiful and solicitous flight crew. Each selected apparently for steady smile, clear complexion, and penetrating gazes. Both carts and bathroom mirrors are adorned with fresh flowers. We are generously feted with fine, frequent food and liberal libation. Think champagne at each take-off!

Our first four-hour flight lands in Whitehorse, Yukon and a short bus trip to our hotel. Once again free internet. We dine in the hotel ballroom after strolling the streets of Whitehorse (all three of them) amidst a freshly falling snow! Disappointingly the weather does not support my sincere hope to view the Northern Lights … despite my request for a wake-up call should they appear.

Departing this morning for our longest flight was somewhat delayed by a frozen engine. Luckily, we carry our own maintenance engineer so within the hour, we’re off once again. Our flight to Japan takes us across the International Dateline where we lose a day! Doug’s inquiries about whether we might obtain a one day refund fall on deaf ears! We arrive via Petravotofsky Military Base Airport giving true meaning to dour Russian stereotypes! During this layover I enjoy chatting with two stewardesses who have one six and one seven year old child. They will be away from their families for the duration of our tour while their spouses care for their children.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb