Day 17: Teslin to Whitehorse


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
June 28th 2011
Published: June 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Whitehorse, capital of the Yukon territory, largest city in the Yukon with population of around 25,000 - half of all the people who live in the Yukon. This is so believable as we have been in towns with only 492 people recently. We actually found a Wal-Mart. Whitehorse was named because the early settlers called the Yukon's rapids "whitehorses," thinking that the rapids looked like the mane of white horses. This explains why our Brit friends call white caps "whitehorses." OK, that makes sense. I'm not sure I ever knew why we called them white caps!

We plan to be here for several days, so tomorrow is a "see-the-city" day. This will be our last provisioning city before we enter Alaska. We are trying to learn what we can take back into America. Seems strange to enter customs here. How big the USA and Canada are. We have been 17 days on the road since leaving Dallas and still haven't entered Alaska.

Today, as soon as we had cell service again, I texted my kids and grandkids. Within minutes, I got a call from my grandchildren. I was so happy to hear their voices. Elliot reported that he has a loose tooth and that Audrey's bus driver was controlled by aliens. (who knows what that means???) Audrey reported that she yanked her loose tooth right out. I guess getting the big bucks from other teeth, she's ready for the tooth fairy again.

It's a great life!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb