Beaver Creek, Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Beaver Creek City
June 17th 2011
Published: June 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we crossed over the US/Canada border. We were able to stand in 2 countries at the same time by standing at the centre marker next to customs. All the other guests on our tour were either American or Canadian and they were able to stay on the bus and cross over no problem. We, however, being aussies were required to exit the bus and go into the customs office where they could verify who we were.

We arrived at Beaver Creek.....hmmmm, what can I say about Beaver Creek – not much really, home to just 70 residents all of whom, I’m sure, work at the hotel we stayed at. It was pouring rain most of the day but when we arrived at the hotel it really started to bucket down and there was lots of thunder. Dinner was at the Beaver Creek Rendezvous (also part of our hotel) which was a large round building with a hole in the centre of the roof with a large fire pit below. Around the fire pit is a kind of timber dance floor and on one side of this is a stage. We were greeted by a show girl and a mountie and then we went off in search of our allocated seats where we were to have dinner and then watch a show afterwards. The meal consisted of a salad, beaver stew (not real beaver), roast chicken, wild rice and then baked alaska for dessert. Once again, a bit bland but this was, after all, Beaver Creek so one couldn’t expect 5 star dining here. I was sorta kinda enjoying the meal until I found a long black hair in my dessert – a very big YUK.

While we were bussing it on down to Beaver Creek we had been rehearsing a couple of songs for a performance which we were required to give in front of other guests from other tour groups. It was some kind of competition between tour guides where each group had to present their song at the evening show in between food courses. Our song went something like this:

I’m a beaver, you’re a beaver, we are beaver all
And when we get to Beaver Creek we’ll do the beaver call

Then everyone had to make grunting beaver sounds – felt rather silly actually but it was fun nevertheless. We also had a 2nd song and it went like this:

Are you sleeping, are you sleeping
In Beaver Creek, in Beaver Creek
Wake up we are coming, wake up we are coming
< then make beaver grunting sounds >

I know what you’re thinking, we were travelling around with a bunch of crazies but I think in all reality, we were all a little crazy that night – that’s what Beaver Creek does to you <grin>. Thank goodness we’re outa there !!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb