Saskatchewan - Never Fully Trust GPS


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Saskatchewan » Saskatoon
August 10th 2015
Published: August 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today we left Stettler for Saskatoon. After getting very specific directions from Dawn, we managed to get ourselves promptly lost. I know - who gets lost in Saskatchewan? Us apparently. We ended up taking the scenic but not so smooth route on Hwy 51 through small town Sask. After travelling 18 kms through a construction zone on deeply rutted roads and large gravel, we got turned around by a flagperson and had to go back. Someone's wide load was too wide, got stuck, and was blocking all through traffic. Doh!

It turns out that getting lost was a gift. We got to witness two pronghorns in full run. Luckily we had lots of time to brake as they crossed the highway right in front of us. Sask got a lot of rain this year which was evident by the number of sloughs filled to the brim and newly repaired washed-out roads. We stopped in Kerrebort (where the hell is Kerrebort?) to pick up lunch. "Where can you get a good sub?", we asked a craggy faced old fellow in a plaid shirt. "Over there at the Reddi Mart", he replied. "Or you could go to that place over there." He made a sour face and jutted his thumb to the right, indicating a sad looking restaurant. We chose Reddi Mart. If their food qualified as good, I'd have hated to try the other place.

We were surprised by the hemp fields we passed on the the way to Biggar. Biggar's slogan? New York may be big, but we're Biggar. Hah!

Besides Biggar, we passed through lots of villages including Major and Superb, but we missed Plenty by a hair.

We finally reached Saskatoon around 3:30. Tim's niece Nadine and her husband Erik were wonderful. After supper, we walked to Jerry's for delicious gelato, which made up for all the mosquitoes we swatted on the the way back home.

Tomorrow we leave for Winnipeg.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



12th August 2015

From the McClellands Down Under
Sask road reminds me of roads in outback Australia, beaten up by road trains ( multi trailer cattle trucks)
13th August 2015

Bad roads
Those toads were horrible. I guess the new car got a real workout

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 36; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb