A Sad Trip Back


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Saskatchewan » Saskatoon
March 19th 2015
Published: March 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Alec and DorisAlec and DorisAlec and Doris

The way they were at the beginning of their marriage.
To Canada for Alec's funeral



We had spent Friday, Feb 27th in Kaohsiung grading papers, assignments, working out, researching for our upcoming trip to China, and resting. We even treated ourselves to a Skype visit with Mom and Dad in Canada for almost an hour, then watched a few episodes of Boardwalk Empire. We went to bed around midnight.

At 4:12AM, we got the call informing us that Dad, Alec Tarasoff had passed away while getting out of the jet tub at his home. His tired heart had finally given out. He had been joking and in good spirits moments before with Mom. Maurice scrambled to get flights. We got a flight on Monday and arrived back in Canada the same evening. While Maurice made travel decisions Linda planned for her substitute at the school for next 2 weeks. Linda's new doctor met her at the school to provide her with her medications and insisted that Linda take calming green tea to her mother in Canada. We had friends stop in to offer condolences and finally got to bed Sunday evening.

Monday morning, we were off early to the HSR, caught a plane from Taipei, to
Our Tribute to Alec John TarasoffOur Tribute to Alec John TarasoffOur Tribute to Alec John Tarasoff

Husband, Father, Grandfather and Great Grandfather. deceased February 27th, 2015
Tokyo, then Minneapolis and finally Saskatoon. Kristen, Luc and Colette met us at the airport and visited with us till late. We finally headed to bed around 2:30 and were up by 7:30. We unpacked and headed to Langham for noon. Doug had been there handling most things with Mom since Dad's death. Mom was very busy and shared her wishes with us once we arrived. Jerald and Lorna arrived for supper on Tuesday from Lake Havasu, Nevada. Jack and his boys arrived from Smithers, B.C. later Tuesday night. Dad passed away peacefully at home, the way he wanted to. He did not have to spend time in hospital, his heart just stopped. He was almost 89. He had been failing since Christmas. We will miss our Skype calls and getting his humorous emails.

Wednesday, Saskatoon was the coldest place on the planet at -54C with the wind chill. Mom and Linda made borsch. Neighbours and friends brought tons of food to share. We reminisced and received company over the next few days. Wednesday night we went to the funeral home to see Dad's body; he looked good. Thursday afternoon at 2pm, the Langham community joined our family to
Doris with oldest son, JeraldDoris with oldest son, JeraldDoris with oldest son, Jerald

We say our goodbyes and our thanks for the many years we had Alec in our lives.
bid Alec Tarasoff goodbye. He was born in Langham, and spent his whole life there. The funeral was very nice, with wheat placed right into the lid of the coffin. Mom was very brave! All 4 of us children shared many memories we had of Dad.

I got to spend a lot of time with my Mom over the almost 2 weeks we were there. We have not spent that much time together for a long time. It was good. Mom will be OK. She has a good support system.

We managed to connect with Kody and Janessa at their house. We had lunch with Vicky, Tucker and Tai. Later we had a meal with Kristen and Cory. Coffee with Aaron and a few calls to Marc and Tyler were all we had time to fit in. We got to snowboard on the 13th with Leslie, Ryan, Gracie, Sawyer and Easton. Kaitlyn came to show her auntie how well she snowboards. We paid for the snowboarding, our muscles were sore the next day and we had to sit over 30 hours on planes for our trip back to Taipei.

I'll miss Dad. I'm grateful for the time
Jack, Linda, Doug and Jerald Pay Tribute to DadJack, Linda, Doug and Jerald Pay Tribute to DadJack, Linda, Doug and Jerald Pay Tribute to Dad

Jack spoke first about memories of his father. Then Linda, Doug and Jerald followed with their memories. A wonderful walk down memory lane.
we got to spend together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

 We Gsthered at the Grave Site We Gsthered at the Grave Site
We Gsthered at the Grave Site

Mom is bundled and held with love and care by the family.
Learning how to communicate with her computerLearning how to communicate with her computer
Learning how to communicate with her computer

Mom is very nervous about how to use the computer to communicate using emails and Skype. She is a fast learner and was able to do it while we were there.
Recording the Acknowledgements That ArrivedRecording the Acknowledgements That Arrived
Recording the Acknowledgements That Arrived

Mom is meticulous about keeping track of , flowers, cards and letters containing donations in Dad's honor.
The Family Together The Family Together
The Family Together

We had lunch prior to attending the funeral. The entire family came together to honor Alec. After the funeral we found time to rest and relax and enjoy each others' company at his home in Langham.
The Family TogetherThe Family Together
The Family Together

Same family, just a different angle. We grieve together. Comfort is found in family.
Jack's send off Supper at Smiley'sJack's send off Supper at Smiley's
Jack's send off Supper at Smiley's

The family gathered for supper to send Jack, Erik and Justin off the following day.
Doris and Linda at the Grave SiteDoris and Linda at the Grave Site
Doris and Linda at the Grave Site

Later in the week we visited the grave site. Dad is not suffering anymore.


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb