Big Skies in Saskatchewan


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Saskatchewan » Saskatoon
October 24th 2009
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday marked the last bit of lengthy driving for a while - it was another 9 hour haul from Winnipeg into Saskatoon. But what a drive it was!

Starting out around the Peg the skies were overcast. It threatened rain for the longest time before the skies finally did open for a bit. However, on the horizon we could see a clearing in the cloud cover, and without having to wait too long we got some of the first blue sky of our trip. The pictures have a difficult time portraying just how big the skies are out here - it's something that you have to see for yourself to appreciate. Still, the whole backdrop does make for some great photos.

We got settled in at Saskatoon, and then after a quick stop in at the hotel we made our way down to dinner. The place we had our eye on was a tiny spot specializing in dishes crafted with local ingredients, but when we arrived it was full up, though they asked if we could wait and come back in a half hour. With that we took a quick tour of Saskatoon's surprisingly busy downtown. Val fell in
Fuzzy DiceFuzzy DiceFuzzy Dice

And that enchanting new car smell.
love with the organic food and coffee stores, as well as the bulk specialty cheese store across the street. I have to admit it all looked quite good.

Then came dinner, and oh my what a meal it was. Usually we don't eat quite so fancy, but this was definitely worth every penny. I started with a gnocchi dish, garnished with braised beef. Then for the main course I opted for a thick, moist pike fillet over a small bed of cabbage, topped with fried pickerel cheeks. Complimented by a local India pale ale all of this was fantastic. If you're ever in Saskatoon do yourself a favour and stop at Weczeria Food and Wine, right off 10th street east at Broadway.

Talking with the chef and hostess after the meal we learned about the farmer's market that they source most of their food from, so that's where we're off to right now. Then tonight it's on to Westlock, Alberta to visit with Al. Only four hours of driving today but it will still be a busy day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Big SkyBig Sky
Big Sky

Val took some great shots


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb