Last Day


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec
September 24th 2016
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4621, -73.827

Tomorrow we have an early morning flight back to Vancouver. We get the hotel shuttle at 5:45 am.

Today's planned activity was a drive west on the Lakeshore Blvd. to Ste. Anne de Bellevue. Macdonald College (Part of McGill) is located there. The education training faculty used to be located there. Only the agricultural faculty is there now and some of the campus is now John Abbott College.

Some of the older buildings are still there but it seems that Brittain Hall (the men's residence) has seen better times. It was surrounded by metal fencing and was missing windows, etc. It is either in the middle of a MAJOR reno or is awaiting demolition. A Google search says it was abandoned in 1983.

Ste. Anne de Bellevue is now more of a tourist destination. There are many restaurants. The D'Aoust department store is still there after 115 years. The cable system for moving money canisters is still there as well. The tavern is now a pub. Mama Lorenzetti's Pizza place is still there but with a name change.

Today is Saturday so there was a street market by the water.

Ended the trip with a drive through Senneville and a walk in the Morgan Arboretum.

After driving along Lakeshore Blvd. it is obvious that there is still a great deal of wealth in the West Island. There were many gated waterfront estates.

The rental car is returned - 7839 kilometres later. The rental company Payless didn't even charge us any extra even though we returned the car about 5 hours later than expected. The van driver even brought us directly back to the hotel.

I have written several blogs using this site and it works very well. This time I did not use a laptop or tablet at all. I have an iPhone 6 (64 GB) which was used for all of the photography. Each day I use Dropbox as a photo repository. All of the entries were composed on the iPhone. The final editing (minimal) was done on a PC after returning home.

One of the advantages is that the site is connected to a publishing service which allows me to create a book based on the blog. This becomes a great coffee table book to share with friends.



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.448s; Tpl: 0.052s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb