Island Tour


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec
August 27th 2016
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.9374, -70.8743

The "long" version of the trip around the island is about 67 K. It is basically quiet 2 lane roads with limited traffic even though it is a Saturday. In many ways the island is like Saltspring but with less shopping or public facilities. In addition to the historical sights there is no shortage of local artists, wineries and we even found a brewery.

The Drouin house was very original with the exception of a minimal electrical circuit put in recently to provide light for the visiting tourists. The inhabitants of the house never had electricity or running water. Surprisingly the residents remained in the home even though modern services were available.

The Marine Centre explained how ship building was a major activity in the western tip of the island. There was also a facility there which in the past was able to store as many as 200 larger boats on wooden skids during the winter.

As is common in most Quebec towns the churches are magnificent structures. One of the churches today had been in fire and was restored. There were old and new pictures. Today the dark and ornate interior has been replaced with a more enlightening look.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.2089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb