The best road in Canada or maybe the world?


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec
August 30th 2010
Published: August 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post


LABRADOR CITY TO BAI COMEAU - Sunday 22 August 2010

This was undoubtedly the best day's riding of the entire trip so far and not sure I've done a better road anywhere - if you have a BMW GS that is!!

The 389 leaves Labrador City heading south and in about 10 miles you are over the border into Quebec.

On leaving Lab City there is about 200 miles of dirt road that twists and turns and rises and falls with loads of blind summits. It cris-crosses over the railway line so you have to look left and right to make sure nothing is coming before you proceed.

Once the dirt runs out there is then a further 125 miles of paved roads full of bends and hills - more blind summits and no policemen so we made rapid progress even with slightly soft tyres.

Along the length of the road there are many dams, the biggest being Manic Cinq (5).

At the end of the road we stopped at an extremely picturesque campsite on the edge of a lake near Manic Deux and guess what no flies either!

BEAR COUNT UP TO 3

Just as we approached the bend to turn over the road that goes over the top of the dam at Manic 5 we saw another young black bear on the road. This time I got to within 20 feet of him before he turned into the woods and disappeared - very exciting!

PHOTOS

If you double click on the photos they should become larger.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb