Two major Catholic Shrines in Quebec


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Trois-Rivières
October 23rd 2014
Published: October 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

The settlers who colonized the harsh land of New France took strength and inspiration from their Roman Catholic religion. The best known and most significant of the shrines they built have grown over the centuries into the basilicas of Notre-Dame du Cap at Trois Rivières, and Sainte Anne de Beaupré east of Quebec City. They are both renowned pilgrimage sites that are visited every year by millions from around the world, often pilgrims in search of a miraculous healing. Here are some photos I took during recent visits.

Notre-Dame du Cap (Our Lady of the Cape):

Trois Rivières was settled in 1634, and Jesuit missionaries built a small chapel on a nearby piece of land in 1659. In 1720 it was replaced by a stone chapel, the “Small Shrine”, which is still in use. The present basilica was built from 1955-1964, while the grounds around it have been continuously landscaped over many years to become a place of calm and beauty. It is dedicated to “Our Lady of the Rosary, Queen of Canada”. Pope John Paul II, well known for his devotion to Mary, visited in 1984, along with some 75,000 worshipers. There is a lot of information, including some about miracles at http://www.michaeljournal.org/ndcape.htm .

Saint Anne de Beaupré:

Saint Anne, Jesus’ grandmother, is the patron saint of Quebec. There has been a place of worship and miraculous healing on this site since 1658, and the present basilica (1926) is the fifth church in succession. It is Neo-Romanesque in form, shaped like a Latin cross, and built of Quebec granite. The interior measures approximately 200 ft x 100 ft (60m x 30m), there are several side chapels, and the two tall spires, visible for miles, house nine bells weighing more than 20 tons. There are 240 stained glass windows, including a magnificent rosette by French artist Auguste Labouret. A Casavant organ was installed in 1988. The lower level contains the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Going up the nearby hillside are 14 larger-than-life statues of the Stations of the Cross.

Since the first reported healing in 1658, there have been many confirmed miracles right up to the present day. Pope John XXIII presented a sacred relic of Saint Anne in 1980, and Pope John Paul II visited in 1984. In my opinion the best site for more information is located at http://www.sacred-destination/canada/sainte-anne-de-beaupre

You can enlarge any of my photos simply by clicking on it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd October 2014

Wow, what beautiful basilicas! They remind me of those that you often see in European countries, very regal and elaborate (the rosette's and fresco's are particularly beautiful). I should plan a driving tour through Quebec one of these days and check out some sites like these.

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb