Québec city


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
June 13th 2006
Published: August 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Haha, and I thought that Montreal was typically French.. Nothing compared to Quebec! There are even people over there who don't speak English at all, despite the fact that it's one of the official languages of Canada. But okay, many people in the English part don't speak French either. This is a bit like an everlasting quarrel, in which of course the English part has the most power. As I've heard the French part would like to be separated from the English part, but then they would want to have Montreal too, where by now also a lot of English speaking Canadians live. Owowowow.. Quels problèms..

Okay, back to Quebec city. I would prefer cities like Montreal or Vancouver over Quebec as a place to live, but as a place to visit on holiday I can't imagine a nicer city.. Especially the old part of downtown, surrounded by the only city walls North America have, is more than worth visiting. It's not without a reason that it's a protected UNESCO monument, the entire part within the walls!

I really liked the Citadelle, a sort of defensive work which has served to defend Quebec, first during the war between the French and Englishmen, and later, after Canada had been officially formed, against the States. The only French regime of the Canadian army still uses the Citadelle as its basis.

But there's more to see, Battlefield Park, the name already explains its former 'function', the harbor, the cute little, down sloping streets just outside the walls, and the newer part of Quebec. The newer part is less touristy and more like a 'real' city. The extra advantage of this is that this means that the food is also less expensive here 😉.. Cause Quebec is, like any popular touristy place, not even close to cheap. But ow my god, I nowhere got such a holiday feeling as I did over there..


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb