Quebec


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
September 25th 2021
Published: October 2nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

Quebec through the eyes of two heygo guides.

Patrick, who usually guides in Banff was on a road trip of Eastern Canada - he spent time during different parts of the day to show us around Quebec’s interesting and picturesque locations.

As the only French-speaking region of North America, Quebec is unlike anywhere else on the continent. The majority of the population consists of French-Canadians, the descendants of 17th century French settlers who have resisted centuries of pressure to assimilate into Anglo society.

The city’s splendid views of the surrounding landscape and unique character were noted as early as 1842 during a visit by Charles Dickens, who called Quebec the “Gibraltar of North Amerca.”



The city has three principal districts: Upper Town, Lower Town, and St. Roch.

We visited both upper & lower town during the day and evening.

Located within the city’s walls is the Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral (where many of the bishops of Quebec are buried). This cathedral occupies the site of the original church, which was built in 1647 but was destroyed by fire. The Anglican cathedral of the Holy Trinity (the first Anglican cathedral in Canada) and the
nearby Ursuline monastery are also located in Old Quebec.



Lower Town’s historic commercial centre, taverns, cafes, and shops line narrow irregular pretty streets extend nearly to the riverbank. Petit-Champlain felt like we had landed in a fairytale with its pretty houses, cobbled streets and beautiful flowers. The French influence is evident everywhere you look, the two—and three—storey plastered stone homes with their dormer windows, gabled roofs, large chimneys and firewalls rising above the rooftops make it hard to believe you’re not in France.



A huge mural illustrates the history of Québec City and pays homage to several notable figures. Inaugurated in 1999 and painted by 12 French and Québec artists over a 9-week period, the detailed realism of the fresco is absolutely riveting. Noteworthy historical figures from different periods of Québec City's past are juxtaposed with several elements associated with architecture, geography, the seasons and cultural communities.





Then we have Heygo’s new guide ‘Bearded Sam’ in Quebec.

An interesting tour Sam on his first heygo tour. So many stories we learnt.

The only fortified city north of Mexico, the fortified walls and ramparts which were the city’s
defensive system built between 1608 and 1871. The gates now much wider than originally built to,allow more people to be able to pass into the old city.

Morrin College – Formerly Québec Prison was built in 1808-14 where hanging would take place on the balcony.

It was converted for use as a college in 1868, and has served since then as the library and archives of the Literary and Historical Society of Quebec.

Next to it a converted church housing a very modern and contemporary French library.

Paul Chevré won a commission to produce a monumental sculpture to the memory of Canada's founder, Samuel de Champlain but maybe not everyone knew that Chevré was a survivor onboard Titanic.

The master of suspense Alfred Hitchcock shot his 1953 film ‘I Confess’ in Quebec City. The film was "butchered" by the province's Censorship Bureau, because it depicted a relationship between a Catholic priest and a married woman.

"Frustrated, Hitchcock never set foot in Quebec again.

Will be checking out more of Sam’s tours.

https://www.heygo.com/sam-bearded-tour-guide


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement























Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb