Montreal - 375 years old


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
September 25th 2017
Published: September 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Unseasonable hot weather in Montreal again today. After breakfast we walked our suitcases several blocks to Old Town and checked into our hotel for the next two nights. Exploring this oldest part of the city, we walked to the Place Jacques-Cartier where hundreds of runners jogged by - marathon had been changed to a half-marathon due to heat. This Plaza seems to be in the center of Vieux (Old) Montreal activity though it was Sunday morning quiet today. We crossed the boulevard to the Vieux Port and walked along the piers past tour and pleasure boats, the science museum. Crossing through the park we visited the Pointe a Calliere Museum, a historical and archaeological site. The visit began with an energetic multi-media presentation covering the history of Montreal in 18 minutes. This location was the site of a First Nation settlement and the site of the first French settlement so the museum displayed and explained the history and archeological remains found on this point of land through the centuries. Lunch was on the museum terrace overlooking the river. We braved the heat for a boat tour up and down the St. Lawrence past islands, clock tower and cityscape, Biosphere, the Lego-like Habitat 67 housing complex made out of pre-fab concrete, and the huge Molson brewery.

Back at the hotel we collected our luggage and tour packet, dropped things in the room (actually a suite), headed back down to a nearby pub for a beer. Our tour group met at 6:15, walked to a steak house for a very good dinner, had an orientation, and ended the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Brick water pipes in early MontrealBrick water pipes in early Montreal
Brick water pipes in early Montreal

The museum also had a walk-through sewer pipe with multimedia lighting.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb