Making work fun


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
September 7th 2006
Published: September 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In August, I had to go up to Lebanon, NH for some meetings. Me being me, I couldn't just do the meetings, so I planned a few things before and after them. The nite before the meeting, a group of us attended a Red Sox game at fabled Fenway Park. To anyone who likes baseball, this park is a must see, right up there with Wrigley Field. The weekend after the meeting, another group of us headed north to Montreal for the weekend. A great place to visit and a genuinely unique experience. This was the first trip where I really felt like I was in a foreign country. All of the signs were in French and the vast majority of the locals spoke it as well. If you want to get a taste of traveling to a foreign country, but don't want to fly over an ocean, Montreal is the place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Group shot at the gameGroup shot at the game
Group shot at the game

Me, Mike, Steve and Mark
Portland SeadogsPortland Seadogs
Portland Seadogs

As one of the group activities for work, they sent us to see a minor league game in Portland, ME. A really nice park.
Portland Seadogs 2Portland Seadogs 2
Portland Seadogs 2

Since the Seadogs are a minor league team of the Red Sox, it only makes sense that they have a version of the Green Monster at the ballpark as well. Only here they call it the 'Maine Monster'.
Sunset at Lake ChamplainSunset at Lake Champlain
Sunset at Lake Champlain

After the meetings, it was off to Canada. But first we had to check out Lake Champlain on the way up.
Art centre in MontrealArt centre in Montreal
Art centre in Montreal

Plaza where the main art museum is located. Most of the museum is actually located underneath the plaza that is in the photo.
Cresent AveCresent Ave
Cresent Ave

Cool street in downtown Montreal where a lot of restaurants and bars are located.
Downtown Montreal from Mt RoyalDowntown Montreal from Mt Royal
Downtown Montreal from Mt Royal

Mount Royale is a fantastic urban park in the heart of the city. Miles of trails to hike or bike and plenty to do.
Montreal group shotMontreal group shot
Montreal group shot

Mark, Ted and I
Olympic StadiumOlympic Stadium
Olympic Stadium

Built as part of the park to host the 1976 Summer Olympic Games. Was also home to the Montreal Expos baseball team till they moved to DC. I had no idea that there was a tower attached to the park or that you can go up to the top.
Olympic Stadium 2Olympic Stadium 2
Olympic Stadium 2

Apparently it is world's tallest inclined tower. In this photo you can see the elevator coming down the back of the tower.
View from the top of Olympic StadiumView from the top of Olympic Stadium
View from the top of Olympic Stadium

In the distance that is downtown Montreal to the left and Mount Royale is to the right.
Downtown Montreal from St Helen IslandDowntown Montreal from St Helen Island
Downtown Montreal from St Helen Island

Another nice urban park right next to downtown. Mt Royale is in the background.
Old MontrealOld Montreal
Old Montreal

My favorite part of the city. Had a very European feel to it. Made it hard to imagine that you were in North America.
Basilique Notre DameBasilique Notre Dame
Basilique Notre Dame

Notice the homeless man getting change from the fountain
BummerBummer
Bummer

The last nite we were in town, some holigans broke into our rental car and stole my Tom Tom navigation unit and my crappy pair of sunglasses.


8th September 2006

Fantastic life you live, Chris.
I have not been in Montreal since Sarah and I were there in 1962 on way up to the Gaspe Peninsula by way of Quebec. Enjoyed all of your pics.

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb