Montreal


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
September 8th 2014
Published: September 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I am going to try this again. I had it typed and the internet shut down. Yesterday we drove from New York State to Montreal Canada. We saw mostly farms consisting of corn and some soybeans. I would like to thank Glenn and Glenda for being our leaders on this trip. I was especially glad that they were our guides yesterday as all of the road signs and mileage was in French and kilometers. We arrived at our RV park and then we all had a picnic. I grilled brats. Today we took a trip to the city of Montreal. I learned something new today. The city of Montreal is on an island in the St. Lawrence River. There are 6 bridges going to the island. There are one million, eight hundred thousand people living in the city. There are 3.6 million people in the whole area of Montreal. The city was founded in 1642 by French Catholics. The city is made up of modern skyscrapers and older stone buildings. There are lots of churches. There are 5 Catholic Churches downtown. One of the guides told us that to get a job with a company that hires more than 50 people, you have to be able to speak English and French. We took a tour on a double-decker bus. One of the things we saw was Notre Dame Catholic Cemetery. It has 360 acres. There are 900,000 people buried there. Another interesting thing that I saw was a little machine with a big vacuum tube over the top with a large canister in the back. I asked the waitress what it was and she said it was used to vacuum the sides of the streets. The city was very clean. We had lunch outside of a restaurant. Actually, we were sitting on a little platform in the street. The waitress said that it is actually a parking area out front but in certain months they rent the area so the guests can eat outside. First time for me to eat in the street with traffic coming along. When we got back to our RV park we had supper and then we had cupcakes and ice cream to celebrate Phyllis' birthday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



9th September 2014

Nice!
Another great entry!

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb