New year's in the Chic-Chocs


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Gaspésie
January 4th 2014
Published: January 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

One of the best way to start a new year is certainly to do an expedition with good friends. 2013 started that way and proved to be one of the best years of my life... So the friends I skied with last year and I decided to do another backcountry ski trip to celebrate the new year. Two other friends were able to join us.

So the five of us went to the Parc de la Gaspésie and did the Mount Logan trip, which I had done... 17 years ago! A five day, going from shelter to shelter, enjoying incredible sceneries and perfect snow conditions. Except for the first day where we had fresh snow and mild weather, the rest of the trip was very cold, going down to at least -38. But we just kept skiing and kept our snack breaks very short and all went well! The shelters were comfy and warm, or even HOT when we put too much wood in the stove! And we were lucky that the winds were not too strong the day we went to the summit. We didn't stay long, but we at least made it to the top and enjoyed the view.

Saint-Octave-de-l'Avenir also offers good accommodation in small cabins, and we enjoyed a pre- and post-trip night in them.

Great bunch of people, lots of fun, good rest, good food and ideas for next year's trip are already being discussed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 27; qc: 105; dbt: 0.1415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb