Greener Pastures


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Prince Edward Island » Charlottetown
September 27th 2015
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.2365, -63.1282

Day 6

Following breakfast (lobster benedict), Patrick and I took a stroll around Charlottetown and attended Mass at St. Dunstan's, a lovely Gothic basilica built in 1907.

This afternoon we headed to Prince Edward Island National Park located on the north shore of PEI, along the Gulf of Saint Lawrence. It's the third most visited park in Canada, after Banff and Jasper.

There are beautiful dunes and soft-to-the-touch, small-grained sand. We stopped at a lobster dock, where Allison spent time teaching us about lobsters and lobster fishing.

Among her facts:

1. Lobsters shed their shells (molt) in order to grow.

2. Lobsters were once considered a poor man's seafood.

3. Fishermen throw back lobsters that are too small or too big or breeding.

4. Lobsters can dine on other lobsters, which is why their claws have bands in tanks.

5. Lobsters are usually trapped in "lobster pots".

6. Lobsters have a crusher claw and a pincer claw.

We visited Brackley Beach, popular in the summer for swimmers and cyclists. We walked the shore and tested the waters.

We stopped at an overlook called Orby Head, which offers panoramic vistas of red sandstone bluffs and cliffs. A Tauck bagpiper met us there and escorted us along the bluff. Nice touch.

Our
final sight was the home that inspired L.M Montgomery's children's novel, "Anne of Green Gables”. Millions of fans have visited PEI specifically to see where it all began. The grounds are exquisite.

We had an early dinner at New Glasgow Lobster Suppers. Quite the big deal. Courses include:

1. Beverage

2. Scrumptious hot rolls

3. Buckets of PEI mussels in drawn butter; Newfie way: dipped in white vinegar

4. A trio of salads: mixed greens, slaw, potato

5. 1 ½ -pound lobster (or ham, chicken, steak, scallops if you have a thing against lobsters – suggest you avoid the steak, word has it that was tougher than nails)

6. Ten kinds of dessert, including 5 kinds of pie. Lemon meringue is the house specialty -- highly recommend it.

We waddled to the bus and enjoyed the return ride through the pastoral countryside which was magnificent with the long shadows cast by the setting sun.

When we got back to the hotel, the Super Moon was rising. A significant eclipse is expected mid evening. Because the moon is so close to the earth, it looks 14% bigger. And because of a coinciding total eclipse, the moon is expected to look red. I went to the wharf overlooking Charlottetown Harbor to snap some photos, but the wind was so strong I had trouble holding my camera still!

Check out this link for best photo ever of the Blood Moon:

http://www.azcentral.com/picture-gallery/news/local/arizona/2015/01/06/az365-arizona-life-2015/21088857


Scroll down to photo AZ365: Arizona life 2015





Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



28th September 2015

I want to go on a lobster eating trip!!!
28th September 2015

Wow! Your blog sure brings D and I back to last year when we were doing that exact trip! Your photos and comments are wonderful!
30th September 2015

Lobster morning, noon and evening....my kind of dining.

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb