Anne Shirley and lobsters


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After the bus journey from Halifax to PEI, we've now decided that it's a rubbish way to travel and should not be encouraged.

It had been cold in Halifax but we were still unprepared for snow the first evening in Charlottetown! And there wasn't even a cup of 'steeped tea' to be had to warm us up. Steeped tea by the way is the 'new' thing to have chez Tim Horton's (a cross between a healthy McDonalds and a baker's). In essence it's tea that has been left in the pot for too long but presumably is being sold in litres to holidaying Brits who aren't big fans of the local, weaker tea. It should however have included in the price some sort of dental treatment to remove the high amount of tannin.

Arrival on the island is pretty impressive in itself on the 13km long Confederation Bridge which was completed 10 years ago. Locals are apparently divided on whether it's a good thing or a bad thing based on whether rising tourism will destroy the island.

Like the good tourists we are, we duly schlepped off to Cavendish to have a look at Green Gables. One glance at it told me that this was not the same one as used in the film (which is located in Ontario!). Green Gables was positively rammed (with all of 20 visitors) when compared with our next destination - Greenwich, a beach famed for its shifting sands - where we had a whole beach of red sand to ourselves.

As visitors it was obligatory that we sample lobster. A local tip off told us that the best place to try it was at Water-Prince Corner Shop. It really is a corner shop but the counters are pushed to one side in the evening when it serves seafood. Unfortunately there are no pictures of me eating lobster liver (which looks uncannily like baby poo) but suffice to say that it's got me over the trauma of the Geraldton crayfish!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb