Back to the New World


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

First of all, congratulations to my parents, Archie and Phyllis Husby of Calgary, Alberta, as they celebrate their 58th wedding anniversary today. As always, Mom and Dad, you remain an inspiration for everyone who knows you, especially your grandchildren, and soon to be 8 great-grandchildren. You two holding hands is still one of the most beautiful pictures in the entire universe.

Sola Nonna is in Prince Edward Island, enjoying the great beauty of place and people in her home country. Tuscany is gorgeous; anyone who has visited there will say so. But, after a couple of days of driving--NOT walking-- around this tiny, beautiful province, I have to say that its beauty definitely rivals that of Tuscany. The green of PEI grasses and trees, the deep red of the soil, and the variegated blues of the ocean combine to create photographic opportunities at every turn. The people are delightful, kind and helpful, with a ready twinkle in the eye and an open-hearted willingness to help, whether I am trying to find poster board for the conference presentation or a laundromat, coffee shop, internet cafe or church.

One thing that some of the young people who read blogs might be interested in is a program called WOOF, or some such acroymn. WOOFERS are people who stay with folks who own organic farms or market gardens and, in return for room and board, work in the farms and gardens. Gail and Joe Kern, the owners of the Summer Garden bed and breakfast at which I am staying right now, have had WOOFERS work for them for a couple of years now and have formed some loving international friendships with the young folks. At present, Gail and Joe have a young woman from Japan with them and their daughter has a young woman from Australia working with her. WOOFing is an interesting way to travel, to meet people, and get to know an area. Eventually, the workers move on to paying jobs but, for a few weeks in various locales, have some life-enriching experiences and a lot of fun living and working with other WOOFERs and their hosts/employers.

Remember how I said that the experience of sitting in the post-office in Siena, Italy was a sociological exercise in and of itself. Well, sitting in a laundromat in Charlottetown, PEI is just as fascinating an exercise. After about 30 minutes yesterday, I looked at the owner of the place and said, "Being crazy isn't a job requirement here but it does help, doesn't it?" and she just howled with laughter, as did the other two women who were present at the time. We heard a delightful story about how cold it was in PEI last February and how the doors of the laundromat would freeze shut once the dryers got going, blowing their moist heat into the room. The only way out of the place is through the front door so the owner very creatively thought to bring a blow dryer with her. Everyone who wanted to leave had to "blow" the door. A little imagination, a turn of a phrase using the concept of "blow", and we were all doubled up with laughter. And you should have seen the look I got from a woman of 70+ when she complained of the cold and I suggested she get a Golden Retriever. She informed me that she had much better things in mind than a "darn dog!" I love the Maritimes!!

The problem with being here, though, is that I have rented a car and am driving places. No more walking 7 or 8 miles (sorry, Les, but I don't think that our 12 hour walk covered only 3 km. given how many times we went in circles). I have to make an effort to park at the other end of the lot and walk to the stores or the university buildings. However, since I plan to eat seafood tonight, methinks a good hike would be a good idea. Otherwise those lost pounds will be found before I ever get to England.

Hope all is well in TravelBlog land for all other travellers and that everyone is having as enjoyable a time as I, meeting as many terrific people, learning new languages and dialects, and revelling in new taste experiences.

Ciao and so long from Sola Nonna in Charlottetown.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb