Lobster, oysters and chardonnay


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Prince Edward Island » Cavendish
September 22nd 2011
Published: October 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ahh, I almost forgot the Lobster and Chardonnay story! So many months ago when we were visiting Kylee and Riley in the Okanagan, we went out for a picnic and wine tasting. We ended up at this winery called Cedar Creek. Now, I’m not a big fan of chardonnay. In fact, the taste of chardonnay tends to turn my stomach! But the Chardonnay at Cedar Creek blew my mind and I bought a bottle. Our resident sommelier suggested we save it until we reach the east coast and enjoy it with some lobster.....

Long story short, we’ve been carrying the bottle of chard, tucked away in a cool corner of the car, protecting it from the blasting prairie heat or inquisitive customs inspection officers. Finally in PEI we hunted for Lobster, going into a lobster shop in Stanley Bridge, we discovered all sorts of seafood delicacies.

We sealed the deal on a couple of little 1 ½ lb beauties, then set about trying out some other local specialties. A dozen oysters, unshucked; the lady in the store set about teaching us (when I say us, read Brad) how to shuck the oysters... which involved two demonstrations. Down the hatch! Then we asked about Quahogs. We’d seen signs on the side of the road saying local Quahogs for sale. Quahogs are a small clam or mussel type mollusc, that most people would cook in a similar way to mussels. Locals eat them raw... so we did too! VERY salty and briney, like a bigger version of an oyster, they were, uh, ok. I think if the opportunity arose again... mucho with the cooking of the Quahog!

That night we shucked the oysters (when I say we, I really mean Brad), prepared our lobsters put together a little side salad and some roasted baby beets and feasted!!! The chardonnay went perfectly with the meal, what a delight!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb