It Will Happen When It Happens


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario
August 21st 2016
Published: August 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

A close friend asked me the other day, now that our departure is nearing, am I anxious at all about this upcoming adventure. At first, I quickly responded “not at all”; I have no anxiety about storms, sharks (although now that we are thinking to go along the Mississippi, I am a little leery about alligators), pirates, or lack of showers.

However, on a second scan of my internal processes, I had to amend that response. The only thing I was anxious about at the time was delays. But in the past few days, I have been learning to let go of time schedules and (thought I had kicked that one, but I guess I still have a few lessons). Lukus’ attitude continues to be “it will all happen when it is supposed to happen”; always helps me come back to calm.

We launched our boat (Abigail, for those who did not know her name), back in the water on Wednesday. It was wonderful to be back on water again, even though it was sad to leave the marina. I have discovered that boats have a way of changing the pace of life and bringing about a community. In the three weeks we were “on the hard”, it was amazing how many people came up to introduce themselves and ask about our boat. By the end of the time there, strangers would walk over and already know about our boat and our upcoming trip. Word travels fast.

It also impressed me how everyone helps each other out. Lukus has been known to help a lot of people in this area, happily helping out with welding and diving or giving what he has to someone who needs with no expectations in return. But this kindness seems to come back to him, and fortunately, I benefit too!

People have offered advice, along with a free beer or two, tools, equipment, and even showers. The people at Dovercraft Marine in Port Dover were especially great. Johnny, Bernie, Brooke, Cole and Bob and all the rest of the staff floated by all day, giving encouragement (or the odd ribbing) and letting us invade on their space (however, no one there did ever offer to pick up a paint brush - ha ha).

When we ran out of coal tar paint, we called up Lukus’ good friend and life mentor, boat builder, Wray Brown (quoted direct from Lukus). Somehow he always seems to have what someone may need. Sure enough, rather than having to wait days for an order to come in, he had some on hand so we could get the job finished.

The biggest test I had over the three weeks at the marina was trying to remember names of all the people we met. We are both so grateful for the wonderful relationships we have established in a short time.

Since we have been back on water, ironically, we have been working away from the boat. Most of our time has been spent working on our shed, which will serve as one of our main storage units for our stuff while we are gone. We built doors, some shelves, and installed a roof. We have also been busy sorting and shifting our things as well as tying up loose ends.

We have one last major job to do on the boat before we leave. Lukus has plans to build a hoist system (or davit in ‘boat speak”) and so ordered steel a week and a half ago to construct it. The steel has been backordered until this week, hence our postponed departure. But it should be here Monday, and with a few days hard work, that should be completed.

As I mentioned, Lukus’ outlook is, “we will leave when we leave. We have a year, and there is no sense in pushing ourselves to exhaustion,” and it is an infectious and freeing perspective.

And so the last day and a half has been dedicated to rest and rejuvenation. Lukus’ bike “clan” as they fondly refer to themselves, came down yesterday and we all took a nice little ride to Turkey Point. The poor bike hasn’t been ridden in months. Then last night, we decided to take Abigail out on a “sea trial” to see how she handles with all the new paint. We spent a beautiful evening and next day at Snow Island. Well rested, we are now ready to take on the final last preparations.

I would let you all know if we have a departure date, but we have decided not to try to forecast one, as it seems then as if we are “delayed”. Instead, we are embracing the added time, enjoying some wonderful last moments with friends and family and making some great memories!



P.S. I apologize, I took photos on my phone, but for some reason, they did not save. Going to have to figure that one out…

Advertisement



22nd August 2016

Green with envy
You two are off on the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy every minute as each of them will last a lifetime. I intend to follow your odyssey through your blog.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb