Ontario bear and beaver day and a log cabin


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario
September 4th 2010
Published: September 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

INTO ONTARIO - 31 Aug 2010

We crossed the border into Ontario late yesterday afternoon and immediately we have seen a change in the landscape. The roads are still tree lined but with deceduous as well as fir trees.

NORTHERN ONTARIO ROADS

We took the northern route through Ontario and everything we had been warned about the police up there is true. The roads are completely empty, well surfaced and with only gentle bends and have a 50mph speed limit with police cars everywhere stopping people all over the place. You could easily drive at 80mph without any danger and at 50mph you are in danger of falling asleep. We have managed to avoid being stopped by keeping our eyes peeled although Mark was forced to do a demonstration ride for about two miles when one police car followed him for ages and ages. (Not mentioned previously but we did get stopped in Quebec on a remote road where we were doing about 80mph in a 55mph limit and why we were stopped we do not know because everyone else was travelling a the same or faster speed. We wonder if the cop was just interested in our bikes with foreign plates as he was not that interested in our driving licenses!!)

BEARS

Bear count now 5. We saw 2 adults today: one just running up the bank at the side of the road into the trees and another big adult lumbered across the road in front of us near Wawa. It was early evening so he must have been heading out to find some dinner.

BEAVER DAM

Saw an amazing beaver dam today with the lodge on the other side of the lake made by the beaver and also Mr Beaver popped out for a swim around whilst we were looking - very exciting.

STILL NO MOOSE

Although we did see some photos in a petrol station store today of their local celebrity white moose x 2.


ALONG LAKE SUPERIOR - 1 September 2010

Spent a wonderful days ride along the northern shore of Lake Superior today in stunning sunshine and at last the temperature is only in the mid-20s so very pleasant too. The views have been amazing - see photos.

Stopped at the Terry Fox Memorial just east of Thunder Bay. He was a young cancer suffer who in 1980 ran east to west a across Canada with only one leg having already lost one to cancer. He made it from St Johns in Newfoundland to Thunder Bay before his illness returned and he had to give up and died shortly after. He is a big inspiration in Canada and symbol of courage.



THUNDER BAY - 2 - 4 September 2010

We have been rather trapped at Kakabeka Falls near Thunder Bay by the terrible weather. One day it was sunny and warm then for 2 days it rained non-stop and the temperature has dropped dramatically to 15 and then 10 yesterday.

Luckily we met a lovely couple called Gary and Sheri in a restaurant and the next morning Sheri appeared at our tent (in the rain) and asked us to come back to their house which is where we are at the moment having spent the night in the log cabin in their "garden" built by Sheri and her 75 year old father a few years ago. Gary and Sheri were actually married in the cabin four years ago and we met them on their wedding anniversary. Apparently we missed seeing a black bear that was sitting in their garden at about 8am this morning!! We cannot thank Gary and Sheri enough for their kindness and hospitality and as I am writing this Mark is changing the oil on his bike in their garage.







Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Thunder Bay Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay

the amazing mountains seen from Thunder Bay
Newton the catNewton the cat
Newton the cat

so named because as a tiny stray kitten he fell from a tree into Sheri's arms
Kakabeka FallsKakabeka Falls
Kakabeka Falls

the legend is that an indian princess led a rival indian clan to their deaths in their canoes over this fall


7th September 2010

TERRY FOX
Every year there are Terry Fox runs for charity out here.
7th September 2010
Lake Superior

Great pictures of Ontario, we loved it too, such wonderful scenery. We never got to Thunder Bay as it had started snowing when we got to Wawa and so we turned back to Toronto. Hope the weather improves for you soon - the cold bright days in the fall are absolutely stunning when the colours start in the maples.
15th September 2010

G'day from Oz
G'day Mark and Sally finally worked out this computer , sounds like a great trip . Have a great time and ride on. Maybe to Australia next time. Will keep tuned in to your adventure Mick

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb