Where To Go In Ottawa With Family


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario
February 23rd 2020
Published: February 23rd 2020
Edit Blog Post

Ottawa is the historic, political, and well-manicured capitol of the great country of Canada. But knowing where to go in Ottawa can be tough. If you’re ever in town, here are 5 things you must do. The main sights in Ottawa are very close to one another, so if you ‘re staying in a hotel or hostel downtown, everything will be within walking distance. Read more Travel Articles

1. Parliament Hill



Parliament Hill is the symbolic heart of Canada. Whether you’re looking at the front of the building from Ontario , or at the back of the building from Quebec, it is an incredibly massive and intricate structure. To get the best experience possible, get a free ticket early in the morning at 90 Wellington Street in Ottawa, and you’ll get a an insider’s tour included, for free!

2. Rideau Canal



The Rideau Canal stretches an unbelievable 126 miles and is a wonderful escape in the city for those who like the outdoors. If you visit Ottawa during the winter (January – March), you can rent ice skates at Dows Lake Pavilion and skate the largest skating rink in the world. If you’re in Ottawa during the Summer months, you can rent a bicycle and ride along the beautiful paths while line the canal, taking you all over the city of Ottawa.

3. Changing of the Guard



Right on Parliament Hill every morning at 10 am, you can watch the Changing of the Guard ceremony for no cost at all. Similar to the English tradition, you’ll see men in red coats and big fluffy black hats marching in unison in this timeless tradition. It can be quite amusing to watch and is a nice activity before lunch.

4. Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica



This is the oldest and largest church in Ottawa, and though it can’t quite compete with the one in Paris, it is one of the most beautiful cathedrals in Canada. Take the guided tour and learn all about the history and features of the basilica – it is a very interesting and engaging tour and the basilica itself really must be seen in person to be fully appreciated.

5. Eat a BeaverTail



No, it’s not actually a real beaver’s tail. A BeaverTail is a sweet, savory pastry deep-fried to a golden crisp and topped with a multitude of tasty toppings. Don’t waste your time trying to decide what to get – go for the original cinnamon and sugar. It’s less than $5 and you’re guaranteed to enjoy every last bite. You can find the BeaverTails stand in the ByWard Market in Ottawa.

If you’re into extreme sports, you’ll be happy to know that the highest bungee jump in North America is located just 30 minutes outside of Ottawa at the Great Canadian Bungee in Wakefield, Quebec. Located high above the water in an old abandoned quarry, the 200-foot drop is tall enough to provide close to three seconds of free-fall and will leave you absolutely breathless. It’s also relatively inexpensive considering the adrenaline rush: $105. After you catch your breath and kiss the ground, you can enjoy the rest of your day relaxing on the beach, or scuba diving in the deep aqua lagoon.

What are your favorite place to visit in Ottawa? Your valuable comments are highly appreciated.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb