Letterboxing


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Welland
August 8th 2016
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.9934, -79.2392

On Monday morning, Glenn slept in til 9am. I was up earlier in the morning, took a shower, then went back to bed.

We decided we needed to run into town to the local Tim Hortons, which is like a combination of Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks. Plus they have internet and I had to send an email to the folks we were staying with in Vermont.

We also wanted to go to the grocery store and get some sandwich supplies for lunch. After eating a nice b'fast, Glenn and I drove 10 minutes into town. We stopped by the local grocery store and bought chips, ham and cheese and some bread and pickles.

We arrived at Tim Hortons and Glenn signed me into the internet then ordered some donuts. Glenn had some challenges communicating to the employee. He wanted some donuts holes, but she didn't understand that. Evidently they call do NOT it that but instead Tim bit - a play of words with Tim Hortons. Also we got some frapachino. Pretty good.

We didn't want to be gone too long, so was only gone from the Farm house no more than 1.5 hours. Once we got back home, I uploaded some photos to my computer, then I thought it would be best to take a morning nap before Lois Carey arrives.

I did take a good rest. Lois arrived after a her 1 hour drive from the north. We met Lois 10 years ago when she and her husband came down to Guatemala (Gary was still at home), and her husband died of an anuerisum. She stayed in our home for a few more days before she could return to Canada.

Millie had prepared some soup, Glenn pulled out our sandwich fixings and we sat around the table and told stories. Millie shared of her hardships in life, of her growing up on the farm, milking the cows, loosing our 2 adult sons to cancer. After some sweet fellowship time around the table, Lois agreed it would be a good time to do some Letterboxing in the area.

Glenn adjusted the seating and we all 4 piled into the RAV 4 for an adventure. The first letterbox was in the Bertie Cemetery. Millie knew exactly where it was located. The person planted this letterbox mentioned about her g'father and how he loved to work with wood, mentioned other folks that were buried in the cemetery. We had some challenges at first to the EXACT location of the letterbox, but eventually Lois and Glenn found the letterbox This letterbox was called "Grandpa's tool". Nice carving.

Lois and Millie had such a great time, they wanted to do another Letterbox. So, we drove over to Lyon's Creek Cemetery. Parked outside and walked in. This Letterbox was planted 15 feet into the "woods". Normally, Glenn doesn't like to have to "dig into the leaves" to find a letter box, however he did. I can still picture Lois, taking 5 huge steps from the grave site, trying to "chart" it out. We did the "recording" of our find there on the headstone of the grave. Millie really loved doing the letterbox. We did have to make sure she didn't fall. But she is pretty good at her age. This second Letterbox was about the story of Paul Bunyun and him cutting down trees.

We returned home just in time as Robyn showed up with her mom. Robyn was the gal we met on the NCL cruise January 2015. I had told Robyn that if we were ever in her area, we would reconnect and go out for dinner. Robyn had suggested that we stay with Millie - great idea. Glad we got to meet her.

Anyway, we all drove to Mae's Place for dinner. I still couldn't talk much, but I enjoyed the stories that were being shared around the table. After dinner, we said Good bye to Lois, then Robyn drove us back to Millies' by way of the beach. We saw some nice homes, some flower pots that were planted in old bicycles. pretty good.

Then I took some nice pictures of Millie and her flowers. I am so thankful for the time we could spend with Millie. She was a hoot.

it has been several days since I have had access to the internet and to record my thought and our travels. It feels good to now only be "one day behind".






Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb