Get yourself a poncho, they look great!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
October 15th 2006
Published: October 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We were a bit sad to leave Chicago and we had to get to the airport early. Flight was fine although weather not brilliant, some rain so therefore some turbulence.

Arrived in Toronto and got to hotel OK, aain the subway here is really easy. Getting used to packs now as well so it is a lot easier. Stayed in a B&B again. It is in the Yonge and Bloor neighbourhood which is really nice (pretty posh), lovely old house. The owner Ruth is really nice and really looked after us. On arrival we were starving so she walked us round to a nice pub to show us where it was. It was a real local pub but really friendly and we had a burger with salad which was a real home made burger, the best meal we have had for a few weeks (since Oscars in Gran Canaria!).

First day in Toronto it was a really nice morning but weather for next few days forecasts rain. We decided to go out to Niagara so took a bus and arrived at lunch time. Niagara Falls is a nice little town and we walked along the river to the falls. The riverside is lovely, you walk along the road with the river below (the sides are really steep, vertical) and the road is lined with lovely little B&B's. Loads of squirrels around, I was surpised to see most of them were black, a bit more like our red ones, well cute!

All of a sudden the falls appear as you approach the corner. The first ones you see are the American Falls, then the Horseshoe Falls (the main ones). From a distance it looks very white and they just look better the closer you get. Unfortunately as you get closer there is a 'little Blackpool' with neon lights, hotels etc and is a bit tacky, but that is all on the opposite side of the road so if you turn your back and ignore it it doesn't spoil the falls at all.

We went on the Maid of the Mist boat which takes you right up to the falls. They give you a blue plastic poncho, mmm very attractive (as you can see from the photos!). They are so powerful it is scary and the closer you get the better it is. The spray is like heavy rain
The MistThe MistThe Mist

I Know You cant see anything
and the power of the falls is like wind - awesome (sorry picked up a little Americanism there!).

The next two days it was heavy rain so we were really glad we went to Niagara that first day. The heavy rain in Toronto the next day was a bit spooky, we went downtown and the clouds came so low that you couldn't see the top of the buildings, wierd. We didn't really see all that Toronto had to offer due to the weather and didn't go up the CN tower as you couldn't see anything, so that was a bit of a shame so sorry no photos.

Will do the blog for Boston tomorrow, speak to you soon xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Us on Maid of the MistUs on Maid of the Mist
Us on Maid of the Mist

Looking beautiful in the blue poncho!


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb