Wpg-TO Day Three-Four


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
July 1st 2014
Published: July 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Wpg-TO, Day Three - Part 1

Sault Ste. Marie to Toronto via Hwy 17/Hwy 69/Hwy 400. This one is SSMarie to just North of French River.

Additional maps: Wpg-TO, Day Three - Part 2

French River MarkerFrench River MarkerFrench River Marker

The Canadian Heritage Rivers System plaque identifying the importance of the French River.
Travel from Sault Ste. Marie to Toronto via Hwy 17....Thursday, June 12th.

Crappy day...still misty and foggy from yesterday's rain when I arrived in SSMarie. 17° C Up at 06:00...ready to check out @ 7:30. Filled up with gas at Shell on Great Northern Road. Pulled up to a pump for service and the attendant advised me that the "service pumps" cost more than the self-serve...I splurged.....69.045 L @ $1.499 = $103.50 (1605 km). Txt to Joe to tell him I'm on the road and moving at 07:57 hr.

Stopped in Spanish, ON, at 10:11 hr for a break and a pee. Picked up unusual cans of tea and Lotto tickets for Teri (1801.8 km) Still cloudy and lots of fog...can't see anything of the lake or surrounding area....visibility on the road OK, but not far off it. Back on road by 10:19 hr.

Stopped at French River Rest Stop (Prov. Park?)for break and a pee....12:15 -12:39 hr (1983.5 km). Very nice information centre with gift shop and museum display. Walked out to pedestrian bridge over French River and took some pictures. Back on the road at 12:40 hr....small crash just outside the rest stop...looks like one truck
Canoe Route to the West MarkerCanoe Route to the West MarkerCanoe Route to the West Marker

Plaque explaining the importance of the French River in the exploration of Canada. Lots of name dropping here...Brule, Champlain, La Verendrye and even Mackenzie. May have to recommend the addition of Prokopanko to the list of explorers that have passed by...
side-swiped the trailer of a semi....side of the trailer ripped open and the other truck overturned in the ditch. Firetrucks and police in attendance, but doesn't look like any injuries as there is no ambulance. Continued on after a short wait for traffic control past the scene.

Nothing much to see along the way....my GPS device not up-to-date with all the new roads around Sudbury...got mad and told me to "Return to the nearest road!" a number of times. Lots of construction on Hwy 17 (twinning), which will be nice when complete. Hit a major downpour just as I was passing by Barrie to head South on the 400....skies just opened up, but didn't slow anyone down. Had to put windshield wipers on high speed, but traffic continues on.

Arrived at Joe's apartment at 15:40 hr (2297.1 km)...called him and he came down to help with luggage and stuff. Spent the night in Joe's Richview apartment.

Friday, June 13th....headed out to Legend store in Innisfil, but rather low on gas...hadn't filled up since SSMarie so stopped in Bradford....66.475 L @ $1.399 = $93.00. Not bad mileage for the old van....onboard computer says 8.8 L/100 km. On to
Pierre Radisson PlaquePierre Radisson PlaquePierre Radisson Plaque

Plaque explaining the involvement of Pierre Radisson and his brother-in-law, Groseilliers, in the development of the Hudson's Bay Company.
Legend store and picked up our new boat. Took pics and made arrangements to leave it in their lot until I'm ready to head home...Sat or Sun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

French River Info CentreFrench River Info Centre
French River Info Centre

Picture from below the Information Centre at French River...very nice building.
"You Are Here" Map"You Are Here" Map
"You Are Here" Map

Map of the Georgian Bay area noting the location of the French River information site and all the settlements on Georgian Bay involved with the fur trade.
French River Pedestrian BridgeFrench River Pedestrian Bridge
French River Pedestrian Bridge

Bridge over the French River from the Information Centre to...well, the other side. Also used in winter by snowmobilers, this suspension bridge is very well built and not very old. Beautiful view of the river, however a foggy day, so view was limited.
French River looking EastFrench River looking East
French River looking East

View from the centre of the pedestrian bridge, looking east. The bridge in the picture is the vehicle bridge for Hwy 17.
French River looking WestFrench River looking West
French River looking West

View from the centre of the pedestrian bridge, looking West.
Our New BoatOur New Boat
Our New Boat

Picture of our new boat after they rolled it out of the warehouse and we completed the walk-through with the manager at Legend Boats. Travel cover installed for the trip home.
Our New Boat...from the front!Our New Boat...from the front!
Our New Boat...from the front!

Don't it look pretty
Registration NumbersRegistration Numbers
Registration Numbers

Still clean and pretty...showing Manitoba registration numbers.
New Boat IDNew Boat ID
New Boat ID

The model type...16' Legend Xtreme.
Power TrainPower Train
Power Train

60 HP Mercury outboard...more than enough to get into the middle of most lakes.
New Boat BackendNew Boat Backend
New Boat Backend

Does this motor make my backside look too big?!!!


6th July 2014
Canoe Route to the West Marker

Speaking of adding a name
Don't forget to add Krep's name, he'll be the one upfront paddling while you drop your line in to fish

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb