Meeting Jeff


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
May 28th 2006
Published: May 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lastnight, Jill and I met our first staff member that we'll be working with in Honduras. The evening was interesting to say the least.

It started with Jill coming to pick me up at my apartment in Mississauga. We were then supposed to go meet Jeff in Toronto for dinner at a Chinese Restaurant downtown. The only problem was, when Jill stopped her car to get out and buzz me down, her car wouldn't start again. We called her parents at the cottage and were told to jiggle around the wires to the battery since those had been a problem before. Now, picture Jill and I with the manual out, looking for the battery... lol. The car wouldn't start so we called CAA. They said they'd be there in 30 minutes at the latest.

We called Jeff (luckily had thought to get his cell phone in case anything happened) and apologized that we were going to be late. He said he hadn't left his house yet so it was ok. He'd wait to here back from us.

We then waited 45 minutes before CAA arrived. For those Centauri folk reading this, the driver was a 40-year version of Radar. He was trying to make funny jokes and the whole way during the drive to the car dealership, he was testing us on fire safety and what to do during a fire. He also was testing us on our Spanish, which he didn't know much of either. He was really nice and kept us entertained. So yes, the car wouldn't start and he thought it might be the starter so we had to get it towed.

We called Jeff back and he agreed to come to Mississauga to meet us. He met us at the dealership then we drove to Crabby Joe's for a late dinner (9pm by this point). It was SOOOO nice of him to do that.

Here's what I can tell you about Jeff. He's a 19 year old. He turns 20 tomorrow. He's not sure how he was accepted for the position when he's not 23 (which is what the website says you have to be) nor has he completed his bachelor degree. He currently goes to McGill for Economics with a minor in Math. He's going to be teaching Math and Economics to the highschool aged students at the school in Honduras. He was super sweet and cute but also kind of shy. He's never worked with Children before or taught in any capacity. I feel as though he may struggle a bit with the teaching but it'll be a great experience for him. He's a little worried about how he is going to practice the Jewish holidays in a country that is predominantly Catholic, but he's hopeful and just really excited to be taking a year off before finishing his degree. I'm excited to get to know him better.

So that was about it. He drove us back to Jill's place and I slept over there then took the bus home this morning because I didn't want to make Jeff drive all over a city that he didn't know.

It was definately an interesting night, but at least now we have another face that we'll recognise in Honduras.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 71; dbt: 0.192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb