Into the Thunder


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Thunder Bay
August 14th 2015
Published: August 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today we left Winnipeg, bound for Thunder Bay. Winnipeg was shrouded in early morning fog and when we finally emerged from it, we were in a new landscape of rocky outcroppings and boreal forests. Northern Ontario is cottage country, dotted with pretty lakes sparkling like jewels in the sun. Cabins, referred to as cottages here, line the lake shores. We drove through Kenora, a busy summer tourist town which was hopping with sunny-faced tourists, lattes and floaties in hand. People love their lakes here.

We continued on, passing forests of Jack Pines with their twisted, gnarled trunks. They reminded me of the famous Tom Thompson painting. We also passed a reindeer farm. We knew they were reindeer because they were playing reindeer games.

Richard, our Couchsurfing host in Thunder Bay, greeted us with his dog Jasper. Even though we didn't arrive until 6 pm, he barbecued burgers for us and took us on a tour of the waterfront.

Lake Superior is majestic and we could see the "Sleeping Giant" in the distance. This is a formation that resembles a giant lying on its back. An Ojibway legend identifies the giant as Nanabijou, who turned into stone when the secret location of a rich silver mine was disclosed to white men.

Sailboats drifted by while we listened to the squeals of children in the splash park. Eight operational grain terminals stood in the distance, waiting to be relieved of last year's harvest so that a new one could be brought in.

When we got back to the house, Richard treated us to Persians. Thunder Bay locals have grown up with the Persian, the only place where they are baked. It is an oval-shaped, cinnamon-bun-like sweet roll with a sweet, pink icing made of strawberries. Its recipe is a closely guarded secret. They were yummy.

True to its name, Thunder Bay delivered thunder which was accompanied by a huge storm head. It looked like it would engulf the whole sky. I was hoping for a rip-roaring northern Ontario storm but unfortunately it never materialized.

After all the driving, good food and sightseeing, we were pooped! We were in bed by 9:30.

Tomorrow we head for Sault Ste. Marie.

(Scroll to the bottom for more photos.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th August 2015

Loving. The blogs
Great stories. Sounds like you guys are having a great time "Surfin' Canada. Also making good time across.
15th August 2015

Loving. The blogs
Great stories. Sounds like you guys are having a great time "Surfin' Canada. Also making good time across.
15th August 2015

Loving. The blogs
Great stories. Sounds like you guys are having a great time "Surfin' Canada. Also making good time across.
15th August 2015

All is hood
We really are, Roger. Can't wait to see what's next.

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb